UKC

Stiffened Cord

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 clipskipper 01 Sep 2014
Hiya,

I have seen some cord that seems to have a wire core (or something like that) which means you can shape it into e.g. a hook and it will hold the shape. This is ideal for tricky threads.

Does anyone know who makes it and what it's called?

Cheers

Lee
 LastBoyScout 01 Sep 2014
In reply to clipskipper:

New Dyneema cord is usually quite stiff. I don't think anyone makes cord with wire in it.

If you use it, you must tie the ends properly - but you knew that anyway
In reply to LastBoyScout:

The camp ones I've seen are sewn. nearly bought one the other day but thought better of it.
OP clipskipper 01 Sep 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

This was some blue cord used by a buddy recently. Tied in a loop it could be threaded easily as it would hold it's shape (don't know how it actually works - probably not really a wire in it). He couldn't remember who the manufacturer was

Lee
 d_b 01 Sep 2014
In reply to clipskipper:
I'm told aramid cord will go stiff if you pull it. I haven't used it myself, but some people like it for threads. Is that what you are after?
Post edited at 17:20
 CurlyStevo 01 Sep 2014
In reply to clipskipper:

This stuff holds it's shape really well and is great for threading. It also knots well and undoes more easily as well as being more resistent to cutting on sharp edges...

http://www.edelrid.de/en/Edelrid/Sports/Aramid-Cord-Sling-6mm-night.html
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Thats the one, not Camp like I said.
cb294 01 Sep 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

> I'm told aramid cord will go stiff if you pull it. I haven't used it myself, but some people like it for threads. Is that what you are after?

It does. Every climber in the Elbe sandstone has one or two of these cords for threading small or kinked holes. For easy threads, nylon cord is simpler to tie.

CB
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Very likely it.

Thanks Steve
 CurlyStevo 01 Sep 2014
In reply to clipskipper:

no bother
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Would have been handy on Saturday

Lee
 CurlyStevo 01 Sep 2014
In reply to clipskipper:

I had 2 of them with me possibly around me or in my bag though I'm afraid
 Firestarter 01 Sep 2014
In reply to clipskipper:

A big thumbs-up for the Edelrid aramid slings. I've got 3 and they are brilliant for threads.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...