UKC

What length for static ab/anchor rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BarrySW19 02 Sep 2014
I'm looking to get a static rope for setting up abseils, but would also be using it for building belay and top-rope anchors.

What length do people find best to buy for this - general UK use expected.
 RyanOsborne 02 Sep 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

I think it's really location specific. If you're planning on heading to Pembroke, you might want 30-50m, but if you're heading to Lundy then I think you need 70-100m long ab ropes for some venues.

You might be better off buying 10m of static for setting up belays / top ropes, and then a separate ab rope.
 Merlin 02 Sep 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

I find 30m pretty handy in most situations.
 David Barlow 02 Sep 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Buy a 200m drum and divide between yourself and 3 friends. Then you have ~66m which is good for Pembroke and many Lundy crags (though I agree there are several Lundy crags that require 100m).
 GrahamD 02 Sep 2014
In reply to David Barlow:

I don't think any Lundy crag actually 'requires' 100m !
 GrahamD 02 Sep 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

Two different things there. I would probably buy a 70m length and cut 10m off the end for rigging and keeping 60m for abseiling.
 David Barlow 02 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

OK you can tie two 50m ropes together and pass the knot, but a 100m rope makes life easier. e.g. abseil in to the Great Divide.
 John2 02 Sep 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

To access all of the crags in Pembroke you need 60 metres.
 london_huddy 02 Sep 2014
In reply to GrahamD:
But makes of lot of things on Lundy a heck of a lot easier!
Post edited at 16:38
 Andy Manthorpe 02 Sep 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

Hello Barry. I think we met you on Commando Ridge earlier in the year.

Often the best places to buy static rope are the Caving shops.

Have a look at the websites for Caving Supplies, Inglesport and Bernies Café to start with.

Andy
In reply to BarrySW19: I find 20metres (rigging and short abseils) and 40metres (most general abseiling, crags with remote tree belays) pretty good lengths for most stuff apart from accessing a few really major trad cliffs.

Unless you are local to a particular major cliff that needs a specific length, if you are going to buy a LONG rope (longer then 40-50m) then I'd go the whole hog and go for 100metres.

For most things I don't thing you'd go too far wrong with getting 60m and chopping that to 20m/40m.

David Coley 02 Sep 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

Barry, your profile says you live in London. If you think you might be spending time at Swanage, then a 50m would be just the job.
OP BarrySW19 03 Sep 2014
> In reply to Andy Manthorpe:
>
> Hello Barry. I think we met you on Commando Ridge earlier in the year.

Ah yes - was that you behind us as we all froze waiting for the slowest climbers in the world to clear the final pitch?

spenser 03 Sep 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

Being able to see the bags with warm jackets in was the real kicker!
Dick's Climbing in Bristol seem to have the cheapest ab rope I've seen at £1.30 a meter. I'd suggest much the same as other people have with regards not using your long ab rope for setting up top ropes as they don't tend to be particularly light. 15-20m would be my suggestion as a rigging rope, mine is 15m long and occasionally comes up a little bit short, but if you use a couple of slings you can usually get away with it.
Be careful with the diameter as well, 11mm is a bit on the thick side for some belay plates, but will be harder wearing.
I tend to use a 65m ab rope, but that's more because I can borrow it from my uni club than anything else!
 andrewmc 03 Sep 2014
In reply to spenser:

http://www.caving-supplies.co.uk/

9mm Mammut Performance: £0.92/m, 100m @ £92, 200m @ £170
10mm Mammut Performance: £1.02/m, 100m @ £102, 200m @ £190
11mm Mammut Performance: £1.15/m, 100m @ £115, 200m @ £216

P&P not the cheapest but probably the cheapest for rope?
 spenser 03 Sep 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

OK, obviously I gave a bit of duff advice there!
 Andy Manthorpe 04 Sep 2014
In reply to BarrySW19:

Yes, that's right.

Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...