UKC

edelrid orion harness - suitable for trad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jmills94 04 Sep 2014
really like the look of the comfort on these harnesses as my current model is looking a bit tatty. only thing is tho 4 gear loops seem minimalist compared to my current 7. Can you get a full trad rack on these 4 loops?

any info welcomed cheers.
 Dan_S 04 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

I have the Jay which has the same gear loops, and it works for me, but then I guess it'll depend on the size of your rack.

For info, 20 nuts, 6 cams, 6 hexs and 12 quickdraws plus assorted locking crabs, nut key etc. fits fine.
 Blue Straggler 04 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

I have a 7 loop harness. Ignore the 7th, it's just at the back for belay stuff (slings, belay device, screwgates). Three "lead" gear loops each side. I only ever use two on each side, the last ones are too far back.
 fire_munki 04 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:
I've got one, fine for trad, everything has racked up fine. Only thing I've done is make an extra cord loop at the back for my belay plate and krap/prussic/ropeman.

I found it very comfy too, not tried walking miles in it for winter yet.
Post edited at 13:06
 Kai 04 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

I use it for trad, works well for me.

For ice, I found that the ice clipper slots are placed a little too far back for my taste, but for rock, I have no complaints at all.

Super comfortable, not very heavy.
 TobyA 04 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

I trust you've read http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=5779 ?
I was wearing it last weekend at Froggat and a woman asked me if I liked it as she was thinking of getting one. It is a really comfy harness with loads of support while not being too heavy BUT the more I wear it for trad cragging the more often I get annoyed that the gear loops are too far back (meaning that visually seeing something on your rack is tricky) and there are only four of them. Yes - you can get a big trad rack on them, but for me it feels a bit too clustered up. It could really do with at least one more back loop.
OP jmills94 04 Sep 2014
In reply to TobyA:

It was this that was my biggest worry. I would use the rear loop each side for draws/less placed gear so do u think it can be worked around? Quite a big price tag to justify otherwise.
OP jmills94 04 Sep 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

How have you done that out of interest?
 fire_munki 27 Sep 2014
In reply to jmills94:

Bit of 4 mil cord with some curved tubing to give it shape and then tied it through the haul loop. Useful and out of the way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...