UKC

Buying equipment in Katmandu

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben@Sheffield 07 Sep 2014
I have never been to Katmandu before and I want to know if anyone has advice on buying kit and equipment over there ?

I've heard some of the equipment in Kathmandu is fake, what's people thoughts ?
 Tony the Blade 07 Sep 2014
In reply to Ben@Sheffield:

Most of the kit for sale in the markets and shops of the Thamel District of Katmandu is made by the firm The North Fake

Same goes for the Lakeside area of Pokhara.

You need to visit reputable stores for original kit.
OP Ben@Sheffield 07 Sep 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Are the stores selling genuine equipment any cheaper than western prices ? I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons of buying it in Katmandu or in the uk !
 Damo 07 Sep 2014

In Nov last year I bought new BD Turbo Express ice crews for US$42 each. There are two stores in particular, just on the edge of Thamel, opposite Fire & Ice Pizza that have lots of new gear, genuine, at prices same or lower than in the west. One of those shops is referred to as "the Mountain Hardwear" shop as it has a big MH sticker in the window and has lots of MH gear. It's a great place to buy BD and Petzl hardware. A few doors down is another similar store with a big Millet sticker in the window. The North Face have a genuine store there (and in Pokhara) but their selection is crap. Mostly their prices are fairly set, no haggling.

The fake gear is woefully obvious nowadays, getting conned is not really an issue. That said, some of the stuff is perfectly fine for what people will do with it - trekking, or trekking peaks. Some of the soft-shell pants and jackets are particularly good value, makes you realise how overpriced the genuine brand-name western stuff is. Just variation on nylon. The waterproof jackets however may not be as reliable.

The down gear is OK, not as warm or light as a nice new 850 Mountain Equipment or Rab, but again fine for how many will use it. It got a good light down jacket (fake Mammut) for $30 a few years ago and a decent light sleeping bag (fake Marmot) for $50. Try on each garment as the QC is not good and sizes/fit can vary significantly.

There is also a very nice big Sherpa (the brand, not the people) shop just down past the old palace. Prices and quality are at the level of prices in the west but they have the full range of their garments.
 radson 07 Sep 2014

Yeah, you could basically rock up to Thamel naked and outfit yourself for any expedition...although just normal underwear is difficult to find. For us Aussie, prices are cheaper but no bargains either. Legit TNF, Mountain Hardwear in Thamel and Namche, Salewa, Marmot, BD are in abundance on the street opposite Fire and Ice..or is Fire and Ice opposite the Mountain Hardware store ?

In the more 'dodgy' shops there can be some interesting finds if you know what you are looking for.
 Indy 07 Sep 2014
In reply to Damo:

> makes you realise how overpriced the genuine brand-name western stuff is.

That seems a common sentiment but I wonder how downtown Katmandu rent and business rates compare to your average UK town let alone premium location like Covent Garden & Kensington High Street where a large number of outdoor retailers are located. There needs to be a push back somewhere for the astonishing price of property.
 Mowglee 07 Sep 2014

Along with genuine Western kit there is also some decent stuff made in Nepal. 'Shona's' shop is run by an ex-pat British guy who designs all the kit and has it made in Nepal. Really good quality and prices, only difference really is it's not as sexy as Western kit, and a bit heavier, but perfectly good enough for what most people need. I got a -20 sleeping bag for $90. A lot of the fake branded stuff is actually pretty poor, and often doesn't fit well so try stuff on and check all the seams etc.
JamieG 11 Sep 2014
In reply to Mowglee:

Shona's, now there's a shop. I've still got Shona's gear in use that I purchased in '99. They'll see you right.
 Bob Hughes 11 Sep 2014

There's a ton of fake sutff but some of it is pretty good quality. I got a fake mammut softshell that is still 100% waterproof 4years later, down body warmer - very toasty - and a pair of stretch ripstop trekking pants which have a TNF logo but aren't obviously a rip off of any TNF model in particular. Still in use.

The guy I bought them all off said he had his own brand but no-one would buy it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...