UKC

Standing Stones Parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Warburton 08 Sep 2014
Hi folks,

Don't know the area, don't have an up to date guidebook and can't make head nor tail of the approach written up by the moderator on UKC, which appears to be a sporadic mixture of info dating back to 2005?

Anyway - parking at the top has been blocked by stones? Is there any more parking up there - looks like a second layby a touch futher down the road? Presume walking over the moor is OK, CRoW etc?

Many thanks,
 Andrew Wilson 08 Sep 2014
In reply to Dave Warburton:

ey up dave. i parked at the side of the road next to a bigger area blocked by stones a few weeks ago. there was an excavator in the lay-by.
there is just enough room for a row of cars here.
take the faint path from the left hand end of this area and it heads accross and left towards the crag. i first went too low but the path goes quite high as it heads round to the crag.

hope this is of use

Andy
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

Thanks pal, that's what I had in mind. But I didn't want to destroy some sort of access arrangement etc.

See you've been climbing a fair whack, it's been a grand summer. Climbing has taken a back seat for me, just bits and pieces - often solos - when I squeeze it in.

Cheers for quick response.
Dave.
 Offwidth 09 Sep 2014
In reply to Dave Warburton:
You park half a mile closer to Greenfield than before: off the road but tight against a fence next to a large manufactured flat storage area on the south side of the road on the open hillside (a mess I cant understand that is allowed in a national park), that is blocked by boulders. Be really careful when pulling off from parking there (and avoid 3 point turns) as people drive way too fast and visibility isnt great.... they will only see you when an accident is possible. You either walk back in the old way (up the hill on the road to an obvious path south across the moor from a shooting track: maybe best for a one time visit) or from the mess contour around the hill slope trending east then south on an initially reasonably obvious path that soon threads (and may leave you into boggy cul-de-sacs) until you can pick up the better path along the scarp edge heading back east to the crag.
Post edited at 12:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...