UKC

Classic climbing routes for day trips from Aviemore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Sansum 10 Sep 2014
Hi all,

I am heading up to Aviemore for a few days at the weekend. I'm just wondering what recommendations people have for classic rock climbing routes which are doable in a day trip from Aviemore (we will have a car) - anything from about severe up to about E2 would be good!

I have a selected climbs guidebook at home, but some tips on routes would save me a bit of time!

Cheers,

Chris
 Rick Graham 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Chris Sansum:

Steeple Needle and the Pin. Sorted.
 Stuart S 10 Sep 2014
The obvious first choice if you've got the weather is the Cairngorms - you've the likes of Magic Crack in Coire an't-Sneachda, Savage Slit, Prore, Fallout Corner and Cardiac Arete in Coire an Lochain, and if you head over the back into the Loch Avon basin, there's the Needle and Steeple on the Shelterstone Crag, Clean Sweep on Hell's Lum etc. Loads to go at.

For cragging, there's Creag Dubh down the road beyond Newtonmore (classics being Inbred, The Hill, King Bee etc), Huntly's Cave near Granton-on-Spey (Double Overhang, Slabby Groove).

I guess heading to Loch Laggan for Ardverikie Wall isn't too far for a day trip either.

Anyway, you've plenty of choice - enjoy!
Post edited at 12:27
OP Chris Sansum 10 Sep 2014
In reply to all:

Great, thanks for the ideas. I have done Savage Slit, Ardverikie Wall, and some of the stuff at Huntley's Cave. I will have a look at the other routes though. Cheers!

I may have a day (Sunday) where I don't have a climbing partner/car. So I'm also interested to know any classic routes around V diff which would be walkable from Aviemore? Unless anyone fancies heading out for a climb on Sunday?

Stuart S 10 Sep 2014

Maybe easier than you were looking for, but heading out of Coire an't-Sneachda via Pygmy Ridge (Mod), heading over to the Loch Avon basin and coming back up Afterthought Arete (also Mod) is a decent day out if you're on your own. You should be able to get a bus to/from the ski area car park, otherwise it's a long walk-in.
OP Chris Sansum 10 Sep 2014
In reply to Stuart S:

Yes, that could be a good day out. Thanks!

Any other ideas welcome - I have been extending my climbs wishlist considerably!
 Michael Gordon 10 Sep 2014

Plenty of good suggestions above. My advice would be (a) given the weather forecast, head for the mountains, and (b) try and find a climbing partner for the sunday.
 Cam Forrest 10 Sep 2014

Suggest you heed the current advice and give the easy ridges in the general Coire an 't-Sneachda area a body swerve just now. Report on last week's fatality on Pygmy Ridge here:

http://cairngormwanderer.wordpress.com/2014/09/03/safety-warning-coire-an-t...

and Google for other reports

(sorry link not "active")

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...