UKC

Pit zips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm looking at getting a new goretex, and sort of set my eye on the ME Lhotse. But it has pit zips. And all other similar jackets have pit zips. I always was of the opinion that its just somewhere else to leak and/or go wrong. Has anybody got the Lhotse with the pit zips? Or any advice/opinion on them in general?
 Bluebird 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mh554:

I don't get on with them. I was tempted by the Tupilak for a while but ended up with a Morpheus last season after trying them all on - was delighted with it. However I've just picked up a RAB Neo jacket from Needle and so far have also been very pleased.
In reply to mh554:
Built-in, variable venting strategy. I love pit-zips! They work well on my 'last season's' Kongur.
Post edited at 12:24
 StuDoig 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mh554:

Really dislike them on waterproofs - just another hole / failure point. I find I barely ever use them, and have a zip fail in the past leaving me with a gaping hole in my waterproof.

I do like them on my Buffalo though, but they are integral part of how you get the top on/off in that case.

ME Ogre is a good jacket if you don't want pit zips. Has a proper storm flap on the main zip as well rather than relying on water resistant zips. Hood is just big enough for a helmet (i.e. covers the head), but doesn't allow you to close it right down around the face.

Stu
In reply to StuDoig:

Yes, I have the Ogre currently and like it. ME no longer sell it though...
 PPP 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mh554:

ME Morpheus is almost the same as Ogre, but just shorter in the back.
 StuDoig 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mh554:

Shame - one of the few jackets I could find with no pit zips, a helmet compatible hood and a proper storm flap!

Not bought a jacket in years so can't really offer any more advice I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Stuart
In reply to mh554:

I've just always been put off pit-zips because they bend right in the crook of your armpit - especially the thicker PU laminated zips. Just never felt right.
 ColdWill 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mh554:

Got them on my Tupilak which is very similar, love them. Makes the jacket a bit more versatile at no loss.
 Carolyn 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mh554:

Another pit zip hater - I never use them, so they just add weight/bulk and are something to break.

But I'm also another who hasn't bought a new shell jacket in years, so no help either.
 iksander 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mh554:

Depends how sweaty you get, if you don't - they're a pointless distraction, if you do - they're a godsend
 Mountain Llama 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mh554:

I run hot, so pit zips are great for me. Have had 2 ME jackets with them, no issues of reliability.

Imho it just makes your jacket mor versatile.
Davey
 Merlin 12 Sep 2014
In reply to mh554:

Whilst I regard them as generally useless. Mine have never leaked. Besides, being under your arms, they are quite well protected from the rain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...