UKC

Grindleford Goat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 12 Sep 2014
Anyone doing this tomorrow ?

My first sportive - are there any etiquette rules I should be aware of ? (I'd hate for someone to be posting here next week that I have no class....)
 Toby_W 12 Sep 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Keep left

Good luck and have fun.

Toby
 AlisonSmiles 12 Sep 2014

Wear a helmet.

I'll be there! There is no etiquette. Wear what you like, smile and say hello as you pass folk, pass the time of day and remember it's not a race. I've had some great chats lasting miles with complete strangers. Well, they've chatted with me while I breathed heavily.

I reckon any bike and any clothing goes.

Note, for your own safety give anyone who looks like a triathlete a wide berth.
 Richard Carter 12 Sep 2014
Ah I wish I was doing this one, it looks fun!
 cousin nick 12 Sep 2014

Don't treat the feed stations like a free shop. You always see some greedy bu99er loading up their pockets with gels, bars and anything they can grab that is far in excess of what is reasonable (just stocking up for their next ride!).

N
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

I have a nice new cycling top to wear !! And no, not a team sky one, or any team for that matter !
 AlisonSmiles 12 Sep 2014

I have just been sorting through suitable clothing. Going with a spotty Morvelo top. Very girlie. I believe Ms McCann of this site is also in attendance. I will be on a mostly black with a bit of red kinesis with stripy handlebar tape.

Look out for someone in a shirt with the logo "King of the Hills" and don't be afraid to laugh !
 AlisonSmiles 12 Sep 2014

We should of course be wearing UKC tops ... but I don't have one!
 Michael-H 12 Sep 2014

Best of luck with it!
Are you doing the Billy, or the Nanny route? Billy looks well 'ard!
was looking at maybe copying the nanny route, or a similar 40 mile route from a Wiggle Peak sportive that takes in the climb close to Mam Tor, just as a sunday outing sometime at a steady pace, hoping to get into doing a few sportives in the future(depending how the Derby one goes on the 21st, my first)
 Toby_W 12 Sep 2014

He He He. Triathletes have excellent bike handling skills.

Cheers

Toby
In reply to Michael-H:

Doing the billy. To be honest it's a soft option for me - I've wimped out of doing the Fred Whitton !
Clauso 12 Sep 2014

If you happen to cross paths with me, while I'm spluttering my way along the Nine Edges Challenge, then give me a backy?

Ok....if I seem a man dressed as an owl.....I'll check what I put in my bottles!
 mbh 12 Sep 2014

Dress as a mod and give good banter and you will definitely have class. Don't and and you won't, no matter how exciting you are to watch on the hills.

That seems to be it. As for etiquette, just be as nice to everyone as you normally are, I guess.
 CarolineMc 13 Sep 2014

Yep I'll be there. Though I'm wimping out and doing the Nanny! Just so I get first dibs at the halfway cake and finishing pasta of course... Co:
 CarolineMc 13 Sep 2014

As far as etiquette goes. .. would it be wrong to wear a Yorkshire TdF jersey in Derbyshire? !

Co:
In reply to CarolineMc:

Mine has the words Vive la Yorkshire on it !
 CarolineMc 13 Sep 2014

Hey! Good to see you today, hope you had a great ride? ! Co:
In reply to CarolineMc:

You too.

Didn't see you at the finish - so I'm guessing you managed to keep on the right route and finished well before me.

Bit disappointed by the lack of cake at the feed stop, but I did enjoy the pizza at the end. And I can definitely recommend the cinnamon cakes from the new shop!

Nice to meet you as well, sorry I didn't have more time to chat, but you caught me just as was getting ready to set off again. How did the second half go ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...