UKC

synthetic sleeping bag as alternative overbag to PHD down bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tomasis 19 Sep 2014
Hi,

I've looked through several £100 synthetic sleeping bags to act as an overbag to prevent dampness into the down one and boost temp rating of the combi of both bags.

One problem is that I have no idea how wide are synthetic sleeping bags so my PHD Minix bag fits in without compression.

Any suggestions?
 IPPurewater 19 Sep 2014
In reply to tomasis:

Go to a shop and measure them !
 sbc_10 20 Sep 2014
In reply to tomasis:

Maybe bite the bullet and go for the PHD option.
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/thinsulate-overbag
tomasis 22 Sep 2014
In reply to tomasis:

hmm, many choices.

I might ask friend to make a quilt using loft Apex from Climashield and fabric Argon. The price should land on £60.

PHD overbag is very tempting and I opt it as last choice if everything doesn't work.

I've been eyeing on cheap Lamina minus 15 from Mountain Hardwear at such bargain price though it is a bit heavy 2kg. I don't believe in their temp ratings, it seems overoptimistic, doesn't it?
tomasis 22 Sep 2014
In reply to Timmd:

It seems that Decathlon has no such things nowadays. the thread is 6 years old :p
needvert 22 Sep 2014
In reply to tomasis:

I have an apex filled MLD spirit quilt that I use like a synthetic overbag. I don't see any advantage to using an overbag instead of a quilt.

The fill is stable enough that no baffling is needed, so it looks like it would be one if the easier things to make. One rectangle of pertex endurance or similar, one of apex climashield, and one of some suitable light nylon for the inner. Sew around the edges of the rectangle. Not sure if you have to do anything fancy to anchor the fill to the edges.

Good company mld, http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=133
 m8tey 22 Sep 2014
In reply to tomasis:
I also use a MLD spirit 28 as an overbag... weighs maybe 700grams and has event foot box and head area with variable girth.... Brilliant insulation/Damp resitance to weight ratio..
I also have MHW Ultralamina 0 and -9 that are also good for off the peg solutions and they are cheaper but also heavier?
MLD is probably the best solution and customisable...
 Timmd 23 Sep 2014
In reply to tomasis:

> It seems that Decathlon has no such things nowadays. the thread is 6 years old :p

Oops!

Are you car camping or carrying your gear?

I had a thought you could possibly just use a quilt?
tomasis 29 Sep 2014
In reply to tomasis:

I came to the conclusion that quilt is the way to go.

MLD looks good though i will ask a friend to sew a quilt with Climashield Apex and Argon 0.67 fabrics. I could decide how many layers to add by using zip opening the inside of quilt.

Any reason to use Pertex Endurance over Argon? Argon seems to be popular fabric choice for bivy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...