UKC

glencoe alternatives?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 19 Sep 2014
I've been going to Glencoe for the past 30 years or so and for the past 6-7 years having a winter half term week with my partner and our 4 kids.....now aged between 14 and 19. We'd like to go somewhere different this next winter but where? Criteria; remote'ish but with a decent pub near, hills plus no more than 6-7 hour drive from Peak area. Its alarming that having been going to Glencoe, Fort William, Torrid on etc for so LNG I actually don't know that many alternatives......any suggestions?
 Oujmik 20 Sep 2014
In reply to abr1966:

From your post I guess you've already been to Glen Shiel? And Skye? When the weather is kind the Cuillin (and the surrounding mountain and seascape) put pretty much any other mountains in the UK to shame.
 Michael Gordon 20 Sep 2014
In reply to Oujmik:

I thought of Kintail also, but didn't seem to fit the driving time criteria.
In reply to abr1966: You don't say precisely what you want to do, but have you considered Arran or another of the inner islands?

It might also be worth thinking about Arrochar, although I don't know that area particularly well myself.
 BnB 21 Sep 2014
In reply to abr1966:

Arrochar is an excellent suggestion, with the Cobbler, Ben Cruachan, Ben Lui, Ben Vorlich, the Black Mount all within easy reach, plenty of pubs, beautiful Loch Lomond and a sea Loch.

I'd also highly recommend Arran as an authentic Scottish island experience with minimal journey time.

Why not the Cairngorms? Aviemore is only 7 hours from the Peak and Perthshire maybe only five and a half. Much to see and do there.

Skye is 9 hours from the Peak, worth the effort but not a short journey.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...