UKC

Slovenia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 team fat belly 23 Sep 2014
I'm thinking of heading to Slovenia for a winter alpine trip late January early February does anyone know of any workable guidebooks or have any advice. It is still very much in the planning stages so any help or suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers,
Tom
 d_b 23 Sep 2014
In reply to team fat belly:

I have found it difficult to come by alpine mountaineering info in english, although VF and walking guides are fairly easy to find.

There's an ice climbing guide, which isn't in english but it looked pretty good when I was leafing through it in the shop.

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Maps-DVDs/Foreign-Climbing-Guid...
 SteveSBlake 23 Sep 2014

These are summer observations rather than winter...

Had two weeks in Slovenia this August, based out of Krjanska Gora. I found it quite different in character from the Italian Dolomites. Deep valleys, longer approaches - all in all tougher! (IMHO).

It feels much less developed than the Italian side, prices in the city were very cheap (the overall holiday less so).

There are a couple of VF that I'd go back to do, but the rock climbing around our area was disappointing, poor rock, hard grades (Oh the horror!) Osp, which was a couple of hours south looked much, much better.

Winter will likely be very different.

Have fun,

Steve

Duco 06 Oct 2014

Hey, I'm from Slovenia.
What Steve & David said is (sadly) true - there's no winter guidebook in English (or any other language, for what I know), only in Slovene.

As for advise, you can find pretty much anything in Slovenian Alps, from beginner ice climbs to long, desolate 1000m winter routes. The bigger problem was that last 2 winters, we had really bad conditions so a lot of the routes never formed. Still, more than enough routes were in shape if you were persistent.

I have the Slovene guidebook and I'd gladly provide you with some info where to go (it will certainly depend on the conditions) if you visit.

If you need some "motivational" pictures, I can also find you out some of the stuff that's available if winters are cold enough =).

Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...