UKC

Strava Heatmaps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob 24 Sep 2014
I knew about them before but hadn't checked them out:- http://labs.strava.com/heatmap

Nice to find those "bridleways" you'd never noticed before!
 mbh 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Bob:

That map is fascinating. Being able to make my own heat maps for all time and for each year was one of the main reasons I went Premium on Strava.
 ChrisJD 24 Sep 2014
In reply to Bob:

The Fly-by function is also cool:

http://labs.strava.com/flyby/
 Banned User 77 25 Sep 2014
In reply to Bob:

Thats quality, in Rostock there are a few loops I did 3 or 4 times a week.. they stand out alone.. really odd loops in the forests.. There's one in Rostocker Heide that me and a mate would run on a weekly basis, no other trails are highlighted, they aren't sign posted.. just fire breaks.. so very random who runs them...
 ByEek 25 Sep 2014
In reply to Bob:

That is both awesome and worrying because if you zoom right in, you can clearly see which houses have enthusiastic bike owners in them.

I have often worried about just how much location information Strava gives away so publicly. You can see where someone lives and works and at what times they are making that commute.
 Toby_W 25 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

Just looked after your post, unless you're the only house at the end of a road I think you'd be doing pretty well do find the house with the bike in from that map. I couldn't zoom in enough and the resolution must be in the order or 10 or 20 houses or more on a road. It does not show a little tail to one house so I wouldn't worry too much.

Toby
 The New NickB 25 Sep 2014
In reply to Toby_W:

I think you can combat the issue in the privacy settings as well.
 The New NickB 25 Sep 2014
In reply to mbh:

Would you say premium is worth it?
 LastBoyScout 25 Sep 2014
In reply to ByEek:

> That is both awesome and worrying because if you zoom right in, you can clearly see which houses have enthusiastic bike owners in them.

> I have often worried about just how much location information Strava gives away so publicly. You can see where someone lives and works and at what times they are making that commute.

There is a setting under Privacy called "Hidden Locations" that makes it possible to hide your exact home, work, etc, location
 yorkshireman 25 Sep 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

> The Fly-by function is also cool:

Ah this is fantastic. Just plugged in my last race and watching how I managed against others. Excellent stuff.
 mbh 25 Sep 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I am not sure. It depends how much you like looking at your own heat maps, which I really enjoy, and on whether you find it useful and/or interesting enough to get leader boards broken down by age group to be willing to pay a bit for it. At my age I have found it quite a gee up to see how well I am performing locally (in this fun kind of way) against others like me, to see who they are, and to see how fast some of them can shift across the terrain I use.

There are also two other features available only to power meter users that are no use to me
 ablackett 25 Sep 2014
In reply to IainRUK:
> There's one in Rostocker Heide that me and a mate would run on a weekly basis, no other trails are highlighted, they aren't sign posted.. just fire breaks.. so very random who runs them...

Errr... You do.

Edit - just re your post Iain, I guess you haven't put those runs on strava. Perhaps your mate has?
Post edited at 19:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...