UKC

Mont Blanc Refuges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 26 Sep 2014
Just wondering which is the most spectacular/highest hut in the Mont Blanc massif that can be reached by, at worst, a strenuous walk with no glacier crossing. Don't mind easy snow.
OP mypyrex 26 Sep 2014
Bump
 GridNorth 26 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

If you mean huts with services and a warden etc., I would have thought the Gouter although you do have to contend with the "death couloir"
OP mypyrex 26 Sep 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

> "death couloir"

Er, is that as bad as it sounds?

woollardjt 26 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

The bellachat has no glacier crossing not that high at only 2152m but gives some of the best views across the valley to Mont Blanc the chamonix aiguilles etc or lac blanc refgue. Most of the high huts will have either glacier access or difficult access e.g more than a strenuous walk
 GridNorth 26 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Well there have been accidents and deaths there and it is prone to stone fall but I suspect those incidents are more to do with the number of people who go up there rather than the couloir itself. It's really called the Grande Couloir I believe. Sometimes there is a fixed rope in place but this in itself has led to accidents and some very amusing incidents caught on youtube. It depends on your experience. I have soloed Mont Blanc including this couloir but I have climbed for over 40 years in the alps.
 MG 26 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

It is Russian Roulette with the odds depending on snow and temperature. Just below it, however, is the Tete Rousse refuge, which is splendidly located with panoramic views of the Aiguille de Bionassay's N(ish) face.
OP mypyrex 26 Sep 2014
In reply to woollardjt:
> The bellachat

Is that the one on the TMB; Shown on the IGN map as Bel Lachat, SW of Le Brevent? If I do the TMB I was going to overnight there anyway. Thanks.
Post edited at 16:10
OP mypyrex 26 Sep 2014
In reply to woollardjt:

> The bellachat

If the website is anything to go by it's what an alpine hut should look like
OP mypyrex 26 Sep 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

> If you mean huts with services and a warden etc.,
I'm not averse to un-staffed huts.
 Fredt 26 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
The Albert Premier doesn't involve glacier crossing, used to take the kids up when they were toddlers.

Not that high, but a spectacular view.
Post edited at 16:53
 Ramblin dave 26 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

The Lac Blanc hut up on that side of the valley is pretty nice, too - nice food, ridiculously good view.
 Robin Woodward 26 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

If you're doing the TMB, I think the pest hut from a mountain feel point of view was Chalet des Grand, next to the Glacier des Grands just west of the Fenetre d'Arpette. They can be quite difficult to get hold of, but amazing views, actually has a remote feel and incredibly cheap (although basic) as far as huts go!
 erph 26 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

One of my favoriete places is a sunny afternoon with a beer sitting on the terrace of the cabane de trient. What a view!
And if you like unmanned huts, check out a bit further on The italian Side, The bivouac de la tete des roeses.
Not. on the TMB, but very nice!
 malk 26 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

not another best hut thread. when are you going?

goatee 27 Sep 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Have a look at the Refuge Dents de Midi. Its a bit removed and it is unmanned. It is at about 2800 meters and has one of the best views I have seen in the Alps. Everything from the Bernese Oberland right across to Mont Blanc lie before you and behind the impressive Dents soar. One of the best nights I ever had in a hut.
 malk 27 Sep 2014
OP mypyrex 27 Sep 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...