UKC

XC / MTB tyre recommendation please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 27 Sep 2014
Looking for a tubeless 26inch rear tyre for wet rocky trail use, Ive had Maxxis ignitor and currently on Onza Canis, which were both ok, but wondering if theres anything better.
Ive heard Nobby Nics are good but wear very quickly, and Id say mountain Kings are too expensive for my taste.

Fire away!
 balmybaldwin 27 Sep 2014
In reply to ow arm:

What are you after (whats wrong with the ones youare using)?/what kind of riding do you do? What kind of surface?
OP The Potato 27 Sep 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> What are you after (whats wrong with the ones youare using)?/what kind of riding do you do? What kind of surface?

If you cant even be bothered to read my post question then please dont reply
Post edited at 19:22
 BazVee 27 Sep 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Hi I asked the question of my mountain biking mates the other week as I am thinking of going tubeless (well easy now I have some tubeless wheels). I have simply cut and pasted the four answers I got. All experienced cyclists and one the owner of a pretty big online bike store. Hope it helps

1. Maxiis Ignitors
2. Maxxis High Roller on my full sus & Maxxis ignitor on my hard tail
3. Bontrager 29er Mud Team Issue 29x2.0
4. For winter / 3-season tyres I use Maxxis Ignitor LUST 2.35 and I am also running Hutchinson Toros on my Hard tail. xxxx and some of his mates are running Continental Mountain Kings but likely to change to the newer Trail King / Rubber Queen (The name is changing from Rubber Queen to Trail King) for the winter. They do UST versions in both those.
In reply to ow arm:

As it's going get wetter, I'd probably run a minion on that set up, I've sealed wire beads with a standard rim taped up with electrical tape a few times, only problem with this set up is it may not roll as well as something like a high roller....
OP The Potato 27 Sep 2014
In reply to BazVee:

brill, once the canis wears out i might get a lust ignitor then, thanks!
 Bob Hughes 28 Sep 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Not a conti mountain king. Not especially good on rocks and Ive just ripped a sidewall on its second outing.
OP The Potato 28 Sep 2014
In reply to Bob Hughes:

ouch, financially ouch
 ChrisJD 28 Sep 2014
In reply to ow arm:
Currently running 2.4 Trail Kings (AKA rubber queens) front and rear on a 650B rig.

They are somewhat large volume and not cheap (I read your comment), but they may be longer term better value than other tyres - see below.

Not for the faint hearted on the ups, but got bored of shredding sidewalls on 2.4 High Roller II (went through 4 in as many months).

Ironically though, the Trail Kings coped with everything a very rocky Corsica threw at them in them summer, then I split one my first ride back in the Peak! (I know the HR-II would have blew (many times over) in Corsica though).
Post edited at 18:42
OP The Potato 28 Sep 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

I will bear that in mind thanks
 MikeSP 29 Sep 2014
In reply to ow arm:

If you are mostly on wet rocks the most important thing is the rubber compound, go for the softest you can afford. Then tailor the tread for when your not on the Rocks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...