UKC

Ice axe leash with small 19g snapgate?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 illepo 02 Oct 2014
I have the leash but not the original krabs that came with them.

I just wondered if anyone could tell me;
a) if snap gates were suitable for use on the leashes during winter climbing as opposed to some locking gate option,
b) if something like the elderid 19 g would be suitable as the snap gate option, or are larger snap gates better.

I know you can buy leashes with snap gates, however i wondered what experience had taught you.
 Blue Straggler 02 Oct 2014
In reply to illepo:

I use Grivel Matrix Light axes with a 'spinner' leash and C.A.M.P. Nano small snapgates, no problems so far
 Pina 02 Oct 2014
In reply to illepo:

Why bother with the krabs at all? They're useful if you'll be removing your leashes and putting them back on every so often during the day.

Otherwise, you can opt for a slightly more robust system:

http://coldthistle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/another-critical-look-at-ice-tool...
 Bwox 02 Oct 2014
In reply to J_Trottet:

> Why bother with the krabs at all?

Seconded - I've got some of the Blue Ice boas and looping them through the pommel eyelet works a treat.
OP illepo 02 Oct 2014
In reply to illepo:

thanks for the responses.

I think i'll give looping them through a go. thanks for the links too, really helpful.
valjean 03 Oct 2014
In reply to illepo:

i tried wiregates on the axes and the umbilical girth hitched to me 2 seasons ago

once in a while the wiregates would pop off since they are pressing against the pommel

this season i will try girth hitching to the axes and a carabiner to my belay loop
 neilwiltshire 03 Oct 2014
In reply to illepo:
I use snapgates but even the small ones have a tendency to get pushed over the pommel/handle which means gripping your axe is suddenly awkward/uncomfortable and a pain to put right when half way up a route.

The solution was to tie a small loop of 5mm cord through the spike at the bottom of the axe and clip the snapgates into the cord loop. Problem solved, and plenty strong enough.
Post edited at 12:02
 neilwiltshire 03 Oct 2014
In reply to illepo:

Here's an example of what i'm talking about:

http://3rdmilleniaexplorer.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/photo-11.jpg
In reply to illepo:

Could something from the selection of new autolocking biners be of use? The Edelrid Slider comes to mind - like a snapgate but with the extra security of a locking mechanism. At 42g its not 19g light, still fairly light for a locker though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...