UKC

Ryanair question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HB1 02 Oct 2014
Hi all

We try not to use Ryanair, but are planning a trip to San Vito de Capo and needs must

My question is - if we don't pay £5 up front for a reserved seat, do we get an allocated seat before boarding (as is the case with Easyjet) anyway?

Thanks

Neil Williams 02 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

Yes, you just don't get to choose where you sit. Most likely anyone on your booking will be together but they don't guarantee it, it depends where people who have paid to choose have chosen.

Neil
 steveliput 02 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

no you don't it's a free for all. But you'll probably get 2 together
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

You may not have noticed, but without a seat reservation you can only print your boarding pass 7 days in advance, can be tricky on the homeward leg. With reserved seating it is 28 days,

Chris
 Mike Stretford 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> You may not have noticed, but without a seat reservation you can only print your boarding pass 7 days in advance, can be tricky on the homeward leg. With reserved seating it is 28 days,

Yeah, it's just a way of getting an extra fiver each off people going away for more than 6 days. What was that about "We should try to eliminate things that unnecessarily piss people off"!
 GrahamD 02 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

What Chris says,

The main difficulty with not pre-booking on return is whether you will be able to do online check in for the return.

We are heading there next month and have not booked on the outward leg and pre-booked for the return for that reason.
 GrahamD 02 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Stretford:

I don't get too stressed about this headline price business. If the overall package comes in what I'm prepared to pay (which it is by some margin), then so what ?
In reply to GrahamD:

I'd not flown with them for years so didn't know. It was more the unexpected minor hassle.... there always seems to be something like this with Ryanair. They don't tend to be any cheaper than the others from Manchester, I book on flight time.

Robert Durran 02 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

Have all the Ryanair bashers noticed that their hand luggage allowance is now very generous?
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Have all the Ryanair bashers noticed that their hand luggage allowance is now very generous?

Yea, and our flight we had to book hand luggage in as the flight was busy, another minor unexpected hassle.... must have cost them too to have a little truck waiting by the plane to collect it.
 Pete Dangerous 02 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

I think you can just show them the ticket on your smartphone if you have one, so you only need to concern yourself with checking in if you don't want to pay extra for allocated booking.
 GrahamD 02 Oct 2014

From Stanstead to just about anywhere Europe, it nearly always has to be Ryanair for me - not really any choice. Not that I have too much problem with them anyway.
In reply to Pete Dangerous:
> I think you can just show them the ticket on your smartphone if you have one, so you only need to concern yourself with checking in if you don't want to pay extra for allocated booking.

Didn't work when I tried it. App installed ok, identified flights ok but gave an error when I tried to check in.
Post edited at 11:26
 nutme 02 Oct 2014
Showing ticket on phone / tablet does not work for them. I tried checking in for return flight and downloading PDF. They need it printed.

If you show up without printed ticket it's 40 euro charge.
 Rampikino 02 Oct 2014

Yep - works with EasyJet but NOT currently with Ryanair. So beware of this one and play safe. Paper boarding pass.
 gethin_allen 02 Oct 2014
In reply to steveliput:

> no you don't it's a free for all. But you'll probably get 2 together

They changed it about a year ago, you do now but you have to print your boarding pass later so those who pay get first dibs.
OP HB1 02 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

Many thanks guys for all your replies - quite overwhelming! I guess that if we go we'll pay the £5 (which I presume is per person per flight) The price is still reasonable, and the luggage allowance works out quite generously, but maybe there are other hidden charges?
 Pete Dangerous 03 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

www.ryanair.com/en/questions/does-ryanair-have-a-mobile-boarding-pass-service/

Says its been available since July. When did you guys try this?
 Mike Stretford 03 Oct 2014
In reply to Pete Dangerous: September. Don't rely on the app, I wasted an hour getting them printed.

goatee 03 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

I've been using Ryanair for years and never had a problem. Don't bother booking a seat. You'll get seated together no problem. Its not some crazy rush onto the plane. They have very basic rules. Bag size!, Bag weight!, Have a ticket and show up on time. Its not rocket science. Enjoy your trip.
 planetmarshall 03 Oct 2014
In reply to GrahamD:

> If the overall package comes in what I'm prepared to pay (which it is by some margin), then so what ?

Agreed. If they bumped up the flights by £5 each way and just had allocated seating, would anyone even notice?

Pete Dangerous 03 Oct 2014

Usually you just show a picture on your phone don't you? Why do you need the app?

> Usually you just show a picture on your phone don't you? Why do you need the app?

Dunno, you'll have to ask Ryanair. I asked if I could just shown them a pdf on my way out, as I wasn't keen on installing their app. They said no, it had to be printed or presented through their app. Seems daft to me but I didn't want to risk £70 quid on it.

I emailed it to a nice cafe own near were we stayed and she printed it.
 GrahamD 03 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

> ...but maybe there are other hidden charges?

Nothing is hidden - everything is included in the final price you pay. And obviously you have to read T & Cs

Out of interest, has anyone boarded by just showing the pdf from a phone or tablet (on any airline)? May have just been the staff I spoke to.
Post edited at 14:17
 Neil Williams 03 Oct 2014

No, though I expect some legacy airlines probably do allow that. You have generally to use the airline's app.

Neil
 krikoman 03 Oct 2014

> Yeah, it's just a way of getting an extra fiver each off people going away for more than 6 days. What was that about "We should try to eliminate things that unnecessarily piss people off"!

I've just fell for that one, and sent them an email, no reply yet.

It's impossible to continue the online booking in until you pay the £5 to book the return seat, bastards!!!!
 robbo99 03 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

I just flew back from Marseille and was able to show the PDF on my phone...don't know what this nonsense is about apps.
 gethin_allen 03 Oct 2014
In reply to HB1:

I'm flying to Poland with them on Tuesday and although I'll only be going for 6days so I'll print my boarding passes I may try and use the pdf on my phone at first just to see if it works.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...