UKC

Mount Roraima - Venezuela

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CarolineMc 06 Oct 2014
Evening!

Heading out to Venezuela next summer and will be spending a week or so getting onto and exploring Mt Roraima. Obviously there are lonely planet and rough guides available, but anyone got anything they'd like to share about the area, like...

the trek itself, the environment, the climate, the things that might kill me in my sleep, the kit they couldn't do without, the hideous overnight bus journeys, the local rip offs?!?!

Any hints and tips welcomed!

Ta,

Co:
 john arran 06 Oct 2014
In reply to CarolineMc:

Haven't been on Roraima itself but a few general tips may help:

When I was there earlier this year the currency exchange was insane, meaning that black market exchange rates were 10x official rates and illegal money changing was very common. Take lots of cash in dollars for everything and don't use cards unless absolutely necessary. There has since been talk of currency policy changes but I don't know if anything's actually changed yet.

Climate is very comfortable if you like being warm. Rarely does it feel stiflingly hot but higher up the bigger tepuis the temps can drop 10 deg or so due to altitude and often persistent cloud.

Don't take anything cotton as it will be near impossible to dry out if it gets wet.

Long bus journeys are actually very good nowadays - very comfy and can usually sleep at least badly! But make sure you have a fleece or a sleeping bag to hand as the a/c is often turned on high.

If you're travelling through Caracas - and particularly through the airport - be very alert. Once away from the capital things get much more relaxed and friendly. Sta Elena de Uairén is a great little town.

Have fun.
 deepstar 06 Oct 2014
In reply to CarolineMc:

Hamish Mc Innes book "Climb to the Lost World" is a good read although a bit dated now.
OP CarolineMc 06 Oct 2014
In reply to CarolineMc:

Thanks John, very helpful, really appreciate the tips, especially regarding the currency.
Deepstar, it's now on the list of reading to do before I go, cheers!
Co:
 Spike 07 Oct 2014
In reply to CarolineMc:
Did this trek a few years ago, amazing -am sure you'll have a great time.

Take some good mosquito repellant and watch out for the ants at the ends of the river crossing when you're putting your boots back, they have a strong nip.

The local villagers do have some nice jewellery etc to sell, we steered away from it thinking it would be a ripoff but actually after the rest of our trip we realised it was cheap.

We were respectful of the hard working porters and also of the mountain, unfortunately there were other uk people in the group we were in who were neither.

Once you're on the summit make sure you take advantage of the sunrises and sunsets, it is an eerily beautiful place.
OP CarolineMc 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Spike:

Thanks Spike! Deet and Smidge plus long sleeves and trousers will all be packed! Great tips, ta. Co:
screeweasel 27 Oct 2014
In reply to CarolineMc:

I did it "off the hoof" with a fellow traveller i met at angel falls. really easy to organise, i think you still need to have a guide?? easily organised from the village before the start.

it was on my itinerary because David Attenborough has a picture of Roraima on his wall and he's noted as saying its one of his favorite places on earth! now if thats not a regal accolade i dont know what is!

btw, at santa elana (i think is the name of the town) scam artists were hitting the cash machines and did a canadian guy for $15.000 dollars. be careful, and stay out of the bars after nightfall........

have a great trip.

rockstott 09 Nov 2014
In reply to CarolineMc:

I went out with a group a few years ago. I took waterproof boots for trekking and crocs for night time but ended up getting wet/faffing so much with the boots that I wore the crocs for the duration. If you love crocs, pout the 4x4 bar down on the back and enjoy, if you don't like crocs, ignore everything I've said!

It rained a lot on the way in, so much so that we didn't see Roraima until the day before we climbed it. It's stunning on the top, keep an eye out for the crystal pools and vertical drop views. Stunning place. Also keep your eyes peeled for the little black frogs, I think they were one of the rare Roraima species.

Have a great time!
 williemiller 10 Nov 2014
In reply to CarolineMc:

Lots of sound advice already given. My only addition would be allow yourself enough time to explore when you get to the top. The interesting thing about Roraima is the other worldliness of the landscape and the flora and fauna that inhabit it, not quite as ACD imagined it but still very cool. I would probably go for three nights on the plateau and stay at different camps if possible to see as much as you can.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...