UKC

most entertaining cycling (auto)biography?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 06 Oct 2014
What would folk recommend for most enjoyable ride? There seems to be a wide choice at the moment,
Removed User 06 Oct 2014
In reply to kevin stephens:

Not long finished Slaying the Badger, I'd recommend that.

The best cycling book I've read in ages is this: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1357542.One_More_Kilometre_and_We_re_In_...
 Juicefree 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Removed User:

I'd suggest;

1 Laurent Fignon's
2 Chris Froomes
3 Sean Kellys
4 Stephen Roches
5 Bradley Wiggins

in order of my enjoyment.
 Mike Highbury 07 Oct 2014
In reply to kevin stephens: Nicole Cooke's, seriously.
 Mike Highbury 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Juicefree:
> 1 Laurent Fignon's
Perhaps, certainly the best of the list.
> 2 Chris Froomes
I managed to like him by page 330, unfortunately there was a further 100 to go so, by the end, I had learnt to loathe him again.
> 3 Sean Kellys
Really? Marred by major omissions, I feel.
> 4 Stephen Roches
So bad that for most of it I thought that he must have written it himself.
> 5 Bradley Wiggins
I refuse to read his whinging.

Padraig 07 Oct 2014

I quite liked The Flying Scotsman by Graham Obree
 Quiddity 07 Oct 2014
I thought The Hour by Michael Hutchinson was a really entertaining, fascinating read. An autobiographical account of his attempt on the hour record, rather than strictly an autobiography.
Post edited at 09:38
 wilkesley 07 Oct 2014

I enjoyed David Millar's "Racing Through the Dark".
 felt 07 Oct 2014

Tyler Hamilton's by a country mile. It's a great book full-stop, no matter the genre.

Still to read Charlie Wegelius's, meant to be excellent. In Search of Robert Millar is fascinating; David Millar's auto starts well then disappoints; Big George's auto is pretty dull, to be kind; Cycle of Lies, about Lance, isn't bad; not a bio, but Richard Moore's recent Étape shines light on some of cycling more obscure chapters.
 blurty 07 Oct 2014
In reply to wilkesley:
Another vote for 'Racing through the Dark'
Post edited at 10:03
 dale1968 07 Oct 2014

It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life Lance Armstrong
 nniff 07 Oct 2014
In reply to blurty:
> (In reply to wilkesley) Another vote for 'Racing through the Dark'

And another
 AlisonSmiles 07 Oct 2014

Racing Through the Dark was definitely thought provoking, eye opening and superbly written.

I've read a lot - didn't really get on with Charly Wegelius's. Reckon reading Tyler Hamilton's in conjunction with David Millar's was properly interesting, although his was somehow less intimate.
 d_b 07 Oct 2014

12 replies and nobody has suggested Lance Armstrong?

I'll get my coat.
 niallk 07 Oct 2014

In no particular order:

Matt Rendell's Pantani biography is a really good read and focuses on the fragility of his character as much as anything else. Lots of EPO science too if that is your thing.

I enjoyed Racing Through the Dark a lot. Millar's career pretty much spans the period I've been following cycling seriously so interesting from that perspective

Charly Wegelius - a different view on the peloton than the usual list of yellow jersey wearers. Didn't warm to him at all points and finishes on a kind of bitter note, but well worth it for being different.

Daniel Friebe's Eddy Mercx is also a great read. I knew a bit about the legend and some of the headline stats but this really opened up that bit of cycling history for me.

Not an auto-biog but Sky's the Limit was an enjoyable and easy read. I think I went through it in a long weekend.
 The Grist 07 Oct 2014

I really enjoyed the David Millar book.

I also enjoyed the book about Tommy Simpson. 'Put me back on my bike' by William Fotheringham. Obviously not an autobiography but then again I suspect that the likes of Chris Froome and Bradley Wiggins would be too busy actually cycling than writing a book anyway. I do wonder how much input these active cyclists actually have into their books.

The Armstrong books were the best in the fiction category.
 nniff 07 Oct 2014

I read one of Armstrong's books, after the event. I paid 50p for it on a charity book stall, which seemed acceptable. Holding on to supper proved difficult, but I did finish the book. It wasn't in the same league as Millar's book, which does have a photo of Armstrong giving Millar 'the evils' at somne dinner when the latter accosted him.
 Alun 07 Oct 2014

I enjoyed Millar's book, particularly the bits where you read in between the lines about his opinions on Armstrong.

Tyler Hamilton's book is a real page turner.

Half-man, Half-Bike (the biography of Eddy Merckz) was okay, though I feel that it gave him an easy ride on the drugs thing.

Cav's first book I found very boring.

Nico Roche's Inside the Peloton is basically an anthology of his TdF diaries for an Irish paper, but it had me turning the pages.
 Juicefree 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Mike Highbury:

You are spot on with every comment.

I also read Finding Robert Millar, only to be disappointed at the end.
 beh 07 Oct 2014
Same (co)author as Tyler Hamilton's book (Dan Coyle), Lance Armstrong: Tour de Force is a good read even in retrospect. Particularly as it contains a few other brief bios with chapters on Ullrich, Landis, Hamilton, Mayo, and Vino.

Very much agree on The Hour by Michael Hutchinson. The Race Against Time by Edward Pickering, which someone mentioned in a recent thread on Jens attempt, is very good on both Obree and Boardman.

Quite good but perhaps wouldn't read again - Shadows on the Road by Michael Barry, The Climb by Froome, and Racing through the Dark.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...