UKC

Sad event - but what a misleading headline

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sad to read about this woman who died descending from Everest Base camp.

But I expected a rather different story when I saw the headline

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/mounteverest/11145694/Britis...
 mypyrex 07 Oct 2014
In reply to Adderbury Climber:

Sad but as you rightly say a very misleading headline. A bit like when I came back from EBC, when I raised some money for charity the local free paper got wind of it. A few days later the newsagent's placards read "Local Man Climbs Everest"!
 pec 07 Oct 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

The headline and photo caption which clearly states she "died after achieving her dream of climbing the world's highest mountain" are both plain wrong.

My local rag ran a story earlier this year about a local vicar who, upon reaching retirement aged 60 had "conquered Everest". To the knowledgeable it was apparent he had only walked to basecamp but to Joe public it was totally misleading, full of statements like "after scaling the world's highest peak...." etc.
I wrote to them suggesting it was shoddy journalism and that they couldn't get away with writing something similarly inaccurate on a subject which the public actually knew anything about.
Their response was simply to say that he must have "felt on top of the world" after reaching basecamp as if what he felt was any excuse for basically lying about what he'd actually done.

mypyrex 07 Oct 2014
In reply to pec:

I know. When the local rag asked me about my EBC trek I was at pains to emphasise that I had not climbed Everest.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...