UKC

Climbing in Juba, South Sudan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Lou Emily 09 Oct 2014
Hi,

I'm going to be moving to Juba soon for work and wondered if anyone knows what options there are for climbing?
I've read murmurings of there being a wall in Juba but I can't find much information about it.

Cheers,
Louise
 goldmember 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Lou Emily:

What line of work are you in? always wanted to go
Lou Emily 09 Oct 2014
In reply to goldmember:

I work in humanitarian aid, just found out I was going last week!
 Leonard Tedd 09 Oct 2014
In reply to Lou Emily:

In 2009 a few friends and I built a wall in UNDP compound 2 http://peaceclimb.wordpress.com/2010/02/19/boulderingclimbing-wall-in-juba-...

Also: fb Juba Climbing Friends group

If you get into it you could add some detail here.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=21289

Some good rock on Jebel Kujur. If you're keen then a trek to Mt Kinyeti (3,187m) summit would be adventurous. It would be interesting to hear on this forum if anyone has climbed Mt Kinyeti.
In reply to Lou Emily: I'm going to be in Kassala in Sudan in February for some bouldering and trad. If you have some time off you could always bump into us there.

Lou Emily 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Leonard Tedd:

That looks great thanks for the links! I've joined the fb group (trying not to be too eager just yet as I've still got 2 weeks before I go!)
I'll definitely bear Jebel Kujur and Mt Kinyeti in mind, hopefully I'll be able to get to them fairly frequently.
Lou Emily 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Hi Frank, thats an interesting place to go for climbing, have you been to Sudan before? I only get very specific sets of holidays but it would be great to keep in touch as I'd love to hear how it goes.
In reply to Lou Emily: I've not been before but I will let you know how it goes. My normal email is kinderguide@hotmail.com

Rigid Raider 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Lou Emily:

Just back from Sudan, though only Khartoum. Great country, lovely people, just very hindered by their inability to do international banking thanks to being on Americay's Axis of Evil list (because Sudan wouldn't allow the USA to trample all over its territory).
 seankenny 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Lou Emily:

Hi Lou, I was in Juba in September and managed to get plenty of climbing done! If you've made contact with the people on the FB group that is useful, you just meet everyone outside the US Resideny at around 8am on Sunday, most people leave by about 1pm as it gets really hot, and you still have time to do stuff before your curfew starts again. I didn't have my own vehicle but there were enough people who did to make getting lifts easy.

Take as much gear as you can pack, as there are a lot of beginner climbers who don't have much stuff. If you can take some quickdraws, a rope and extra shoes and harnesses you'd be very popular! Take plenty of chalk as it's pretty sweaty.

We climbed on Jebel Kujur (it's my pics here on UKC). It's a granite cliff, very compact, with about 10 sports routes and room for more if you feel like the hard work of bolting. The views from the top are pretty good too.

Say hi to everyone there from me when you go!
 seankenny 15 Oct 2014
In reply to Lou Emily:

Also the wall at the UNDP compound has just been dismantled, however it may be being rebuilt elsewhere. You should be able to find out pretty easily.

I made do with the gym at the Juba Grand Hotel (pricey but good) and a set of rock rings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...