UKC

New to hillwalking, a few questions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
LMR 12 Oct 2014
Hello everyone, I was after a bit of advice.

Me and a couple of friends were looking at going hiking next weekend, ideally we want to set out from home Saturday morning in the car, drive to wherever, park the car up, and go for a long walk. We want to take a tent, and some camping gear, spend the night camping on wherever we choose to go walking, cook breakfast the following morning and then walk back to the car.

Do any of you professionals have any places you could recommend where this would be suitable?

Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.
In reply to LMR:

Where are you based and where are you thinking of going?

Narrowing it down a bit will help get more informative replies,

Best wishes

Gregor
In reply to LMR:

Lots and lots of possible places, though you've missed the best of the weather for your first 'wild' camp.

Where/what area would you like to start from?
 Ramblin dave 12 Oct 2014
In reply to LMR:

If you're properly new to hillwalking then starting out with a two day walk carrying all your kit in October is a pretty full on way to start! Most people would probably start off by stopping at a campsite and doing a couple of one day walks - that way, you get some idea of how fast you walk before you commit to a multi-day route, and also figure out how to do camping efficiently (ie work out what you do need and what you don't need) in a situation where you aren't carrying all your kit and have the option of hiding in the car if it all goes tits-up for whatever reason.

That out of the way, the basic places you're going to be looking at are Dartmoor, the Scottish Highlands, North Wales or the Lake District. Camping out on the hills is officially allowed in Dartmoor and Scotland and unofficially tolerated provided you do it responsibly in North Wales and the Lakes. There's loads of great routes to be done, although if you're new to it then you'll probably want to pick stuff that's relatively easy and not too committing (ie something where it wouldn't be too hard to escape to civilization if you had to) until you've got more of an idea of what you (and your gear) can handle.
In reply to LMR:

I've sent you an email.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...