UKC

Istanbul in November?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm not climbing, just hanging out round the Hagia Sophia and being cultural innit. Question is, what's the weather likely to be in November?
 joan cooper 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

When we went it was hot and humid in November. Nice and cool in Hagia Sophia The wall paintings from when it was a Christian church were just being uncovered I believe they are spectacular now.
 Babika 13 Oct 2014

Don't you think you'd probably be better off looking at weather stats rather than anecdotal recollections of UKC punters..?

Just a thought
In reply to Babika:
Perhaps I've already done that. Perhaps I like weather related anecdotes. I certainly like them more than smug comments like yours.

Just a thought.
Post edited at 08:20
In reply to joan cooper: I hadn't heard about those so thanks for the heads up. I'm looking forward to it.

Babika 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Babika:

hahahaha
hilarious
 Joss 13 Oct 2014

It will be in the mid 20's. Have been to Turkey a few times, one October the weather was in the 30's but that was unusual. Enjoy and dont forget your shorts!
 The Ivanator 13 Oct 2014

Don't miss a visit to the Basilica Cistern - unforgettable and atmospheric subterranean experience.
 stubbed 13 Oct 2014

I went first in November and it was cool - jacket weather, I also wore a scarf most of the time I remember.
I love Istanbul. Well worth a visit (also recommend the Cistern, and just general eating out. Turkish people are lovely hosts)
 Juicefree 13 Oct 2014

We were there a couple of years ago in November and the weather was bright and warm. I wore a t-shirt but carried a jacket in the event the wind was chilly.

I'd recommend the places already mentioned plus the Bazaar and the ancient Turkish baths!
 Big Steve 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Juicefree:
Definitely take a jacket, it may be warm as other people have already said, but it can also be wet in November, often snow in December.

If you have time, I recommend you visit Buyukada, the biggest of the chain of islands called the princess islands just of the Istanbul coast, you can take a ferry for a few lira, I also love visiting the spice bazaar, walkable from Sultan Ahmet
 joan cooper 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky: As a PS ..... cross the bridge over the Golden Horn where the men are all fishing and go to the fish market on the other side If you have a meal in one of the nearby cafes they fetch the fish straight from the market caught that day Delicious.

Big Steve 18 Oct 2014
In reply to Juicefree:

Be careful in the bazaar, there are many highly skilled pickpockets. They could steal all your clothes before you realise you are naked!
Dont change your money anywhere near Sultan Ahmet, you wont get a good exchange rate. I always advise people to buy from an online FX before they go unless they know where to go for a good rate, although there are cashpoints around that will accept your UK card. Euros are often accepted as well.
I dont know if anyone has mentioned the Blue Mosque yet, its stunning inside
 joan cooper 18 Oct 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky: PPS and Topkapi palace and the Harem beautiful tiled rooms and jewels

Big Steve 20 Oct 2014
In reply to joan cooper:

Just in case you dont know, the visa system has changed for Turkey, it is now an e-visa system. You can buy in advance here https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/ or I believe there are now automated visa kiosk / terminals where you can buy from (more expensive than buying beforehand).

Current prices are here: http://www.mfa.gov.tr/data/KONSOLOSLUK/vize-harc-miktarlari-en.pdf
craigloon 20 Oct 2014

Like folk have said, weather could be variable. if you have time I would also recommend taking a ferry up the Bosphorus as far as Anadolu Kavagi and have lunch at a fish restaurant there. Great way to see Istanbul from the water. The Bosphorus ferries leave from Eminonu if I recall correctly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...