UKC

Help! Can't get tyres on and off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 13 Oct 2014
As someone who's been riding since childhood I am mortified to have to admit that I'm having lots of difficulty with getting clincher tyres on and now I can't get one off to mend a puncture. I am using Gatorskins on Fulcrum wheels. I am wondering if anyone can advise whether I'd have more luck with folding tyres rather the continuous bead ones I'm using at the moment or whether anyone can recommend tyres which are easier to deal with. I'd be especially interested to hear from anyone who has had the same difficulty and has got round it.
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yep the Conti Gatorskins are particularly difficult. You almost have to stretch them in phases with new ones. Failing that get a Crank Brothers Speedier Lever tyre lever, I use one of these at work (in a bike shop) and they are by far the easiest way to get tyres on and off, with practice you just need to use the one lever.
You could stick a bit of washing up liquid around the last section which might help.
Yes folding tyres will always be easier to get on/off, but each has their pros and cons.
 balmybaldwin 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Are you pinching the tyre on the otherside to get it into the groove? This can make quite a difference to the amount of slack required to get over the rim?

Gator skins are tough, and folders will be easier and lighter.
 balmybaldwin 13 Oct 2014
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:

> Yes folding tyres will always be easier to get on/off, but each has their pros and cons.

What are the cons of folding tyres? I've found them better in everyway I can think of other than price?
 TobyA 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Not used those tyres, but have used Schwalbe Marathon Plus for years which are infamous for the same issues. You can definitely break plastic tyre levers easily getting them off/on. There are various videos on youtube showing different ways to do it (zip ties etc), which might be worth checking - just search by the name of the tyre.

Personally I find making sure the tyre is warm makes a big difference, particularly when I used to swap to winter tyres. Then it was invariably below freezing out in the shed where the the bike was. Bring the wheels and tyres into the house and letting them warm up next to a radiator helped a lot.
 Wee Davie 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I benefited from watching a video where the guy emphasized making sure both the beads were pushed into the middle channel of the rim. This frees up the maximum amount of slack. I use Gatorskins too. I've only had 1 puncture with them and I used an old toe strap to keep the beads tightly pushed in at one side of the wheel while I worked the other bits off. It worked.
Rigid Raider 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Wee Davie:

TALC TALC TALC TALC.

That's your answer. Best natural dry lubricant ever for sticky rubber.
 LastBoyScout 13 Oct 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

My old mountain bike has a rear rim that is notorious for being a bugger to get tyres on and off - Trek SingleTrack Pro, I think. I've broken various tyre levers and even ruined the bead on a tyre in the process. I have a motorbike tyre lever that I carry if I'm out on that bike!

Fortunately, I wrecked the front wheel in a crash and the Mavic that replaced it is much more tyre/thumb friendly.
In reply to balmybaldwin:

If you get a flat the tyre can roll off the rim a lot easier that with beaded tyres. Bad on the front. Saying that I have folding tyres on both my road and mountain bikes, and have never had an issue with them rolling off.
OP Rog Wilko 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks for all the advice people. Not sure about carrying a tin of talc or squeezy around with me though. I,m going to take a wheel into the bike shop and see if I can put a tyre before buying it. Hope they'll be OK with that!

Cheers all.
 bleddynmawr 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thank you, not just me then! I bught a gatorskin tyre and changing the tube was a nightmare!
 Kimono 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko: definitely folding tyres....i can remove and replace my Rocket Rons just with my fingers
 AlisonSmiles 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

My Conti 4000s I don't need tyre levers, just thumbs. Guessing folding might be the way forward?
 Yanis Nayu 14 Oct 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Have you taken the wheels off?
OP Rog Wilko 15 Oct 2014
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

> Guessing folding might be the way forward?

I think you're right. I've bought and fitted an Onza Lavin folding tyre, to see what it was like. I found it quite easy to get on and it seems to ride well. I'd never heard of Onza before but they're made in Switzerland, which bodes well (prejudice?) and the quality looks excellent. So I've ordered three more (for Debbie's bike too) and now I don't need to worry about sitting on the roadside having punctured and having holed both our spare tubes with a tyre lever! Great!
PS the tyres are about £22 from Evans Cycles (online price, much less than over the counter).
Rigid Raider 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Don't be silly now; you have to talc the tyres and tubes when they're new so as to lubricate the sticky rubber. That will make them easier to remove and replace come your first puncture.
 wilkesley 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I have just got some folding Schwalbe Marathons, because I had heard about the problems getting the ones with the wired rims on. So far (4 tyres) not had a problem getting them on or off. It's slightly difficult to get them started when putting them on, as they have a tendency to spring out. However, once you have got some of both sides bedded in, the rest follows easily.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...