UKC

Norway in late Oct, beginning in Nov

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
zheka8 14 Oct 2014
I'll be in Norway in the next few weeks, mostly around Bergen. I've climbed in Lofoten this summer and it was great. Looking to visit a few other places and need help:

1. Romsdalen - is it worth going this time of year? If so, any place in particular? I have a guide book but wondering what kind of conditions I will encounter.
2. How about Jotunheimen. I was there in the summer as well and did the Bessegen ridge. Worth visiting again?

If anybody will be visting around this time and would like to partner up let me know.

Thanks

E
 Mr. Lee 15 Oct 2014
In reply to zheka8:

Romsdal gets a lot of rain, what with being right on the coast. Been really wet that way in the last month. It's also getting pretty cold so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some snow already falling by then. Also, the drive will be a long one along the coast. Atleast 3 hours more verses if you were coming from Oslo. Personally I wouldn't bother going all that way to Romsdal as don't think it will be in a good summer or winter condition.

Jutenheimen is a bit more inland so probably more tolerable if the weather's stable. Will probably be around freezing though so not ideal for anything on rock.

I would be staying at low altitudes if I were you and looking for quick drying South facing stuff that is away from tree cover. Have you considered the climbing around Bergen? It's surposed to be good, although I haven't been there yet. Rogaland also has LOADS of climbing that is definately recommended.

If you were looking to do a long trip to somewhere then Bohuslan in Sweden might be a good option due to being a bit more to the south. There's a FB group that you might be able to get some current conditions from or maybe find a partner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...