UKC

South France or Costa Blanca end of November?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TheGeneralist 16 Oct 2014
I may well have two weeks spare at the end of November for a trip. I was thinking of either taking the campervan to southern France somewhere or flying to somewhere in Spain (mainland or island) for climbing. I can't decide which is the best option, and particularly whether the weather is likely to be significantly better in the Costas. Anyone got any views?

If France then maybe take some time to cycle up Mount Ventoux - but I realise it is probably too cold at that time of year. And days may be too short for a Cingles attempt.
Maybe some moutain biking. Would love to go to Buoux and try Rose des Sables etc but is it likely to be pisch weather there? The Klanks is obviously quite far south and hence hotter, but always been put off by the perceived car crime threat. If I'm in the van then it would be best if the crag was walkable from the campsite.

If Spain then fly and pay for accommodation. That solves the campervan/car crime issue. But it means I can't take any bikes. Anyone know any good MTB guiding near any good November cragging?

If possible I'm looking for long technical pitches rather than overhangs. In the 6a - 7b range

cheers

(Also, if anyone has time and fancies going along then let me know)
 jon 16 Oct 2014
In reply to TheGeneralist:

End November can be just great in Provence - cool enough to climb in the sun!

For the Calanques park your van at Luminy and climb at Sugiton.
 silhouette 17 Oct 2014

>
> If Spain ... But it means I can't take any bikes. Anyone know any good MTB guiding near any good November cragging?

Erm. But surely if you fly you can take a bike? (On the plane I mean). I looked into this last year and they charge about £50 each way.
OP TheGeneralist 18 Oct 2014
In reply to silhouette:

True, I could take the bike on the plane, but then I also need to take all the biking kit as well as the climbing kit and a car big enough to take the bikes as well. Emminently doable, but a bit more faff. Would be worthwhile if I knew there was good biking to be done there, but maybe not on spec.

Am tending towards Buoux as the best destination, and wondering if anyone has any info on good places to climb on the way to Buoux which are relatively easy (5-6b+) which would be good condition at that time of year. Was thinking of Orpierre but I think that is a bit of a detour and maybe pretty chilly by the end of November.
 Skyfall 18 Oct 2014

We're currently in S France near Buis. Currently it's about 25 in the midday sun and almost too hot to climb. Earlier this week it was cloudier and perfect. Not sure what that tells you but, if it's not raining, end Nov could be perfect climbing weather. Incidentally, though it did forecast a lot of rain we've actually had v little and climbed every day.
 silhouette 19 Oct 2014

> True, I could take the bike on the plane, but then I also need to take all the biking kit as well as the climbing kit and a car big enough ....

Yes you do have a point there!
frankenjuraclimber 20 Oct 2014
In reply to TheGeneralist: November is perfect at the Costa Blanca for climbing with a huge amount of crags for sport climbing and mountain climbing and still warm temperatures. You will find cheap accomodation with other climbers around at the Orange house in Finestrat or even cheaper at the Refugio in Sella. There is also a brandnew climbing area in the mountains between Calpe and Alicante (can`t remember the name) with a very nice and cheap Refugio (basic hostel) nearby. Flights are pretty cheap at this time of year and if you rent a car with spain-car-rentals (don t take Gold car !!! ) you will get a car for a few Euros.
Cheers

frankenjuraclimber 20 Oct 2014

The new climbing area with the nearby Refugio is Guadelest.If you need a climbing partner at the Costa Blanca send me a message. I´ll be around starting on 4th of nov for 3 weeks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...