UKC

Climbing in or around Gibraltar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Confused Chimp 17 Oct 2014
Hi all,
Just wanting to know if there is any climbing, preferably in the lower grades in or around Gibraltar? If so which guidebook covers it?
Cheers
CC
 escalator 17 Oct 2014
In reply to Confused Chimp:

At the moment there is no climbing in Gibraltar. Nearly two years ago the Government of Gibraltar stopped it, as they wanted to regulate it, and possibly bring in a licence system. I have been working with them since that time to resolve the issue, and I have given them everything that they need in order to sort it out. Nevertheless, they have a habit of prevaricating in almost everything they do, and at the same time they see other issues as more important. Once they allow climbing again I'm sure you will find out.

Climbing nearby (depends on your Interpretation of nearby, I'll drive two hours at the crack of sparrows to climb, and then drive home again when I've finished) is probably limited to San Bartolo. You will find sectors/routes/etc in the David Munilla book called Andalucia. There are plenty of other places further afield, do a seach on the net.

ES
silo 18 Oct 2014
In reply to Confused Chimp:
There is excellent dws in Gibraltar you will have no problem. There are a couple of long traverses which may suit.

There's also a few spots to climb where you won't be noticed ! check out DWS Gibraltar's Fb page. Just message me when you are here.
In Spain the best and nearest crag are casares, Marbella, sanbartolo, Manilva, there is also some nice trad in Jimena
Post edited at 21:10
 Annabel Tall 20 Oct 2014
In reply to silo:

I'm out here now (with young child so wasn't expecting to climb!) but was wondering about the absence of climbers and wondering what the restrictions were. I had just started googling to find out but there's very little on line; there seems to be an outdoor adventure outfit that advertises climbing. Guessing that there are extensive ecological and MOD issues, so interesting to read about the government restrictions. The limestone's beautiful to touch although blocks clearly come out regularly. Will do some more investigating tomorrow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...