UKC

Chorro or Costa Blanca?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Fox 19 Oct 2014
as title - am trying to decide on a destination for a trip next easter and am looking for a few opinions (if ukc users can spare one? ).
few facts;
am tied to easter by holiday time available
big range of ability in the group from never having done a eurosport trip and only comfortable with 5-low 6's, through to those looking for low/mid 7's for onsight.
4 of us
i've been to spain before but only to chorro, the others haven't, so that little bit of familiarity might be an asset. not sure if might be largely outweighed by other factors though.

any thoughts/advice?

thanks.
OP The Fox 20 Oct 2014
Bump.

NaCl 21 Oct 2014
In reply to The Fox:

Dunno mate but I/we are in the exact same same situation re. grades and such in our group of mates. We've been to Chorro a few times and it's been great and we're due to go to the CB on Thurs of this week, so will let you know if I manage to remember.

From speaking to people round our local wall, the CB is great and just looking at the crag map there's loads of options, although it may be slightly more travelling than round the Chorro area.

TBC....
 johncook 21 Oct 2014
In reply to The Fox:

Been to Chorro a few times. The stuff your group will want to climb tends to be so polished it makes Stoney look fresh. Never been to CB yet so can't comment on that. Good luck with the decision making!
 the power 21 Oct 2014
In reply to johncook:

Beers €1 a pint in benidorm
 hms 21 Oct 2014
In reply to The Fox:

Does it have to be Spain? That would be a prime time for going to Kalymnos where there is shed loads of stuff in your various grade ranges and suprisingly little polish.

I love CB, but at some older crags the lower grade offerings are extremely polished. Alcalali would be good, as would Font d'Axia and Montesa. There can be a fair bit of travelling but the A7 runs up and down the coast so it is pretty quick. Lots of supermarkets and other useful facilities.

I've been to Chorro once and had a super week of climbing which I really enjoyed. However, the area generally felt a bit tired and local facilities are dire. In the village it was virtually impossible to buy bread, for instance. I'd say it's a great destination if you are into climbing/biking but not so great for anything else.
 Thrudge 21 Oct 2014
In reply to johncook:
> Been to Chorro a few times. The stuff your group will want to climb tends to be so polished it makes Stoney look fresh.

Yep. Like climbing on glass. Huge amounts to go at on the Costa Blanca, though. Great place.
 Paul Hy 21 Oct 2014
In reply to The Fox:
Have you thought of Sicily in particular San Vito lo Capo Salinella http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=8671. I was there earlier this year, there is a campsite under the crag which is that close you could almost belay from your cabin!! check out their website: http://www.elbahira.it/ i liken the place to Stanage but by the sea as its a about 3km long!
 kylo-342 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Paul Hy: & no polish as yet, even on the 5's
 NaCl 03 Nov 2014
In reply to The Fox:

Hi again - sorry forgot all about this in the post holiday faffing.

In answer to your question : the Costa Blanca is fantastic. Having been to Chorro a few times, as much as I love the quiet and rural nature, I think the CB is better. Simple stuff in Chorro can be a bit of a pain like the absence of a decent shop, but where we were in CB there was a decent supermarket about 4 mins away in the car and the closest crag was also about the same.
The number of crags, variety of routes and quality of lower level climbs is very very surprising. I was expecting a lot but I was well surprised. Make sure you get a car as the crags we visited were all over the shop from just up the road to about an hour away.

Just to warn you - we got a bit of a shock about how much hotter the CB is compared to Chorro. We nearly got sunstroke on the first full day outside. This time last year in Chorro it was too cold to get drunk outside after about 10 but happily we were well on it until about 1 most nights outside ( apologies to the neighbours!)

Hope this helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...