UKC

Skye or Chamonix in March/April??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevefroud 20 Oct 2014
So have been starting to plan a five day trip to Skye for March 2015. But last two winters have had poor luck in Cairngorms in winter falling foul of high winds taking out the summits and ridges even though there was good snow cover. And of course plenty of rain at lower levels.

Out of interest looked on google to see how far it is from Epsom in Surrey to Skye, and how far to Chamonix, and its the same... So big question now is rather than a long drive to the highlands for unknown conditions, should we instead drive south and have a few extra days and try the Alps?

The reason for posting is I have only been to the Alps in summer. Have been up to AD level and over 4000m on a number of ocassions and i'm used to glacier travel etc, but not in winter. Apart from the obvious - that there will be more snow, to lower levels, and greater avalanche risk - how easy is it to get up to smaller ridges and summits. Could we walk up from Arolla to the Bertol Hut for example? Or to the Dix hut and the Pigne D'arolla?

Any suggestions or comments on swapping a few days of scottish grade III for a week in the Alps in April greatly appreciated.
 John Ww 20 Oct 2014
In reply to stevefroud:

I've been in Skye at Easter and had a week of 22 degrees with unbroken blue sky. I've also been in summer when it's pissed it down for a fortnight. Similarly, I've been in the Alps most Easters for the last ten years, and had everything from beautiful sunny rock climbing in T shirts weather to full-on blizzards. Last year in the Ecrins, the road from Vallouise to Ailefroid was still metres deep in snow well into May. You certainly wouldn't have been able to access any of the huts without either skis or snowshoes.

In short, my advice would be to go to the Alps with an open mind (and wallet) - rock climbing if it's nice, skiing if it's snowy.

JW
OP stevefroud 20 Oct 2014
In reply to John Ww:

Thanks John. The weather is going to make or break the trip where ever we go. Still intrigued to know if anyone has done what I think of as classic summer ridges and summits in winter conditions, well April anyway. Unfortunately I can't ski. Maybe I'll look at snowshoing! Its an excuse to buy some new gear....
 drsdave 20 Oct 2014
In reply to stevefroud:

France every time, guaranteed weather and fun
 Michael Gordon 21 Oct 2014
In reply to stevefroud:

March/April are often quite good bets for the west of Scotland - you may just get lucky. But by lucky I mean blue sky rock climbing - the chances of good winter conditions gracing your path on Skye are unlikely to say the least!
In reply to drsdave:
> France every time, guaranteed weather and fun

On the downside, guaranteed French people and no haggis

*edited spelling
Post edited at 08:47
craigloon 21 Oct 2014
In reply to stevefroud:

I spent the whole of March in Chamonix last season (skiing) and saw a lot of climbers accessing routes directly from the Midi top station. Cosmique Arete is the obvious one.
OP stevefroud 21 Oct 2014
In reply to craigloon:

Thanks everyone for the comments. May have a plan C in mind, namely Glencoe in late feb for 'training' and then a 7 day trip to Arolla in early May. That way I get two trips which is always good, twice as much beer time, and more snow and rock opportunities, plus better acclimatisation in the alps. And maybe a couple of quick trips to Tryfan for good measure!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...