UKC

OMG sram xo mech tuning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Patzl 21 Oct 2014
I am having such a nightmare tuning my mech, I've done all the videos and books, attached mech, pull cable tight, not so much it jumps to next ring, but when i adjust by the barrel adjuster on the shifter it goes to full and nearly comes out, then the mech won't go down,set low and high, and b screw, the mech works fine,i basically fit the cable, pull slack threw, with the barrel nut ajusted as per, back one click, then click up , and adjust with barrel nut until it mech goes up, but like i say the nut almost comes out, then the mech won't retreat, if i take the cable tighter, it jumps up a gear, any ideas at all !!!!!!!
 Frank4short 21 Oct 2014
In reply to Patzl:
> any ideas at all !!!!!!!

Is your derailleur hanger straight?

Edit: Are there any cracks in your cable housing? Again another one that may not necessarily be obvious at first but when under tension (higher gears) may show.
Post edited at 21:34
 gethin_allen 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Patzl:

If I could decipher your description of the problem I could possibly suggest something appropriate.
As it is I'll just have to guess.

- Dodgy cable routing,
- Dodgy cable outers.
- Mech stops adjusted incorrectly.

Give us a bit more of a clue?
 LastBoyScout 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Patzl:

Sounds like the cable outers aren't seated in the stops properly, or the cable outer is not far enough into the back of the shifter or the cable end is not seated properly in the shifter.
 And Climb 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Patzl:

Sounds like you're got a serious of Sram. If you've got a bin nearby that normally fixes it.
 ogreville 22 Oct 2014
In reply to Patzl:

Is this an issue that has developed over time? - Indexing becoming worse over time, or is it due to you changing any parts? Mech, chain, cables, cassette etc? Any accidents?

In the past I have found that if it's an issue over time then it normally means it's time to change some aged parts. Try removing the mech, take it apart , clean it and re-attach. That might work.

Check that the rear axle is straight. If the cassette is doing la cucaracha as the wheel turns then the axle may be bent and impacting on the position of the sprockets in relation to the derailleur.
All the Gear, No Idea 26 Oct 2014
In reply to And Climb:

I have found from bitter experience SRAM mechs are FAR better than shimano, have had loads of trouble with Shimano,
All the Gear, No Idea 26 Oct 2014
In reply to Patzl:

Check your cables,,,,or just buy a new inner and outer and start over
 mrdigitaljedi 29 Oct 2014
In reply to Patzl:

Ive had simalier probs with XT, but i thought it was the bearings and freehub on hope pro2 hub (expencive) on way out, in the end it was a new rear mech and inner and outers cables, and that's cured the issues with gear changing, and chain staying on when powering out of corners or starting up hill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...