UKC

CMD arête

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi folks,

I'm heading up to Ben next week with a couple of mates who are in good shape but not regular walkers. They want to do Ben Nevis but I can't bear the thought of up and down the donkey track.

Would a newbie be alright on the CMD arête this time of year?

I could take a safety rope etc. any advice would be most appreciated.
 skog 24 Oct 2014
In reply to Chris Huntington:

If it hasn't snowed and isn't howling a gale, it shouldn't really be any problem - unless they have real difficulty with mild exposure.

It doesn't get any 'worse' than this:
http://www.ootnaboot.scot/summer2009/20090711CMDA.jpg

and many of the scrambly bits can be bypassed anyway.

There's obviously a chance of some snowfall, which would be unlikely to be an insurmountable problem, but might make it a bit interesting for someone not used to that.

In reply to skog:

Thanks mate- you've basically confirmed my thoughts. 👍
 Mark Bull 25 Oct 2014

It is a reasonably long day - seeing as the clocks will have gone back make sure you get an early start and that your mates have headtorches!

Don't get stuck on the crux
In reply to Stamford Raffles:

Hahaha! It's only grade 1, unlike pinnacle ridge...
Jim C 28 Oct 2014

A long sling with a couple of knots in it Is what I use to give someone not used to ridge walking a bit of confidence at anything they perceive as exposure.
(When it is there for them to grab, they usually don't need to use it. )

A rope might be overkill, but you know the people concerned better than we do. I did have to put a rope on a guy who was crag fast just below the In-pin, he just lost confidence, and just nothing else would move him, luckily time was not a big issue. ( he gave the In- pin a miss)

If in doubt, a short walkers comfort rope might be prudent just to keep them moving along quickly , as time is not on your side this time of year.
In reply to Jim C:

Hmmm long slings a good idea rather than carrying a rope
 Mike Conlon 28 Oct 2014

As others have said, much depends on the weather. In the late eighties, I set off with an experienced if young school / scout party. It was a beautiful summers day and there were four adults to support eight boys. Part way along the CMD, a blizzard arrived from nowhere. I swear that one boy was blown horizontal in the air holding on to the ridge. Progress either way along the ridge was impossible and with conditions worsening we reluctantly led the boys off to the left / south east, aware that signs below warned of "Danger of death" on those slopes. Although we didn't make the summit of The Ben, the boys felt they had enjoyed a wonderful adventure.Ironically, the party of self named "tortoises" (less fit and adventurous) did make the summit via the tourist path. Just to repeat, that epic on the CMD started on a balmy June day.
 ark05 28 Oct 2014
the exposure is not too bad, i'd be more worried about them going slow with the days being short. make sure you take head torches and get an early start.

Thanks for the all the advice folks.

Took the slings-didn't need them though.

We set off at 5am which might seem insanely early but it paid off. Weather rolled in at 4pm when we were arriving back at the North Face car park.

Cracking day out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...