UKC

Good ways for stopping harness drag down when loaded with gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just wondering if anyone has come across any products or accessories designed to stop a sit harness heading south when its loaded up with a full rack (particularly a full winter rack).

I guess a body harness would do the job, but these seem to be mostly either industrial or kidz focused. Ideally, there's some braces like accessory out there that can be attached to a normal harness and which stops it from being dragged downward to the point that eventually your jacket starts riding up over it.

I know that racking at least some gear on a bandolier would lessen the weight on the harness, but I've never really liked bandoliers.

So anyone know of any good products or solutions out there??
Post edited at 16:43
 deacondeacon 24 Oct 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

I use helium balloons.
 deepstar 24 Oct 2014
 Bob 24 Oct 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

Solutions:

1. Bandoliers
2. Take less gear
 PPP 24 Oct 2014
In reply to deepstar:

Damn, I wanted to suggest braces as well!
 Andy Farnell 24 Oct 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

1. Go sport climbing instead.
2. Go bouldering instead.

Andy F

Jamie B 24 Oct 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

Fast-lock buckles make it easier to get the waist belt tight.
 splat2million 24 Oct 2014
In reply to PPP:

No matter how experienced, a smart climber always wears a belt and suspenders.
needvert 24 Oct 2014
 Mark Kemball 24 Oct 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

Lighter gear?
In reply to QuarryKid:

Genuine reply.

I've put a bit of weight on very recently - about a stone, stone-and-a-half - and I noticed the phenomenon last week for the first time in thirty years of climbing. There was a definite point (clipping my approach shoes to the rear gear loop) where I felt the whole thing drop half an inch.

Weight loss is on the cards, for me at least.

Martin
 Joss 25 Oct 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

A mate of mine uses a sling clipped at the back, over the shoulders and clipped at the front, effectively like braces. Uses this when winter climbing as the rack is heavy.
 Billhook 25 Oct 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

Carry less kit!! For goodness sakes how much stuff are you carrying?
 Ffion Blethyn 25 Oct 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:
The harness is round your waist and not your hips?

Edit
Just read the bit about a winter rack so I'm assuming bulky clothing...less gear or a chest harness would seem obvious.
Post edited at 23:04
In reply to QuarryKid:
Not sure why you specifically mention a 'Winter Rack'. My rack in Winter is generally much, much lighter than that I carry in Summer, especially compared to when climbing at Gogarth or Fairhead.

Anyway, I've used a Metolious 4 loop bandolier off and on for many years and they are a good bit of kit. They are certainly worth looking at as they give you more options when racking as well as reducing the load round your waist.

Also, since you've mentioned Winter climbing, I've sometimes used an improvised bandolier in Winter (i.e. a prussic loop) to rack extenders but due to issues with accessing rear gear loops rather than any other reason. That again works fairly well but I have moved away from needing to do this thanks having to modern icescrew clippers available.

However I would first look towards your harness. The harnesses I've had over the years have varied greatly in their ability to carry large racks. In some cases there has been a tradeoff with comfort especially when hanging. In others it has just been easier to get the waistbelt really tight without being uncomfortable.
Post edited at 00:29
 nickcj 26 Oct 2014
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

In winter I clip my rucksack hip belt through my belay loop. This keeps the harness around my waist and stops it falling down.
 ayuplass 26 Oct 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

A harness with the old style thread back buckles rather than the quick pull buckles stay tight for longer. The quick pull thingys slowly slacken off slightly through the day. And try different bandolier combinations/system that works for you eg I put my quickdraws, krabs on a bandolier and gear on my harness which I find works well for me nd reduces the weight on my harness. Get a proper bandolier rather than a sling or bit of tat, much comfier and easier to use
 top cat 27 Oct 2014
In reply to QuarryKid:

Petzl Torse or something similar home made. job done.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...