UKC

Dressing for winter - legs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoeMortimer 30 Oct 2014

Hey all,

I'm hoping to take a step out into winter routes this coming season, and was wondering what the best layering system is for the legs? Obviously this is quite an opinion based topic, but I want to hear people's thoughts. There is a lot on the internet about dressing for winter, but most of it just covers the upper half, the extremities, and boots. Never much detail on the legs.

So, pros and cons for:
> Shell trousers with base layer under?
> Heavy or medium weight soft shell over base layer?
> Something else like Paramo Aspira trousers or salopettes?

Thanks
Post edited at 14:24
 Andy Hardy 30 Oct 2014
In reply to JoeMortimer_Trad:

To start with, just wear whatever you wear normally for winter walking. Keep in mind that crampons will put holes in trousers, no matter how expensive, so cheap is always good.

BnB 30 Oct 2014

Until you start hanging about for lengthy periods on a cold belay medium to heavyweight softshell trousers are the most comfortable, but in a wet hoolie you'll be much happier in hardshell pants with thermals under. No single trouser option suits all, unless you want to dress in Paramo/Buffalo and accept all the compromises and scorn those systems invite.

it seems to come down to this: Do you want tio invest in several systems in a bid to be very comfortable for much of the time or a single system that is (only) just bearable all the time.
 TobyA 30 Oct 2014

Do you mean for winter climbing? Winter walking? Or just going rock climbing on windy crags during the winter months? Actually, you'll probably find a pair of longjohns then some kind of walking or softshell trouser over the top is good for all three of those a lot of the time. Full zip waterproofs to go over them in really horrible weather in the hills.

I use thermal base, with cheap hiking trousers (fiver from Lidl) for the walk in and add waterproofs over the top for the climb. Gaiters over the top of everything to minimize crampon damage!

Might adjust and use my softshell trousers this season. Not sure how I'll do that layering though.
 Denni 30 Oct 2014

Long johns if really cold, Mammut BASE jump pants and a pair of full zip lightweight but good waterproofs in case the weather is really crap.
 marsbar 30 Oct 2014

I use Gore tex trousers over thermal leggings if its likely to rain a lot. Otherwise softshell over thermal leggings. If I will be standing about a lot in very very cold weather I might add a fleece layer, and/or change the soft shell for padded ski trousers. Too hot for anything active though.

Before I could afford softshell trousers I would use jogging bottoms with thermals. Or just cheap ski trousers (tkmaxx) on their own.
 Nath 06 Nov 2014

If you can get winter trousers that can be vented, I've got a couple of pairs without vents and find them too hot most of time. I've got a couple of pairs that vent on the thighs. These are much more comfortable.

Nath
 gethin_allen 06 Nov 2014

What determines my choice is how cold or wet it is likely to be. If it's wet and warm I go for a base layer a thin summer trouser and a waterproof over trouser. If it's looking cold and settled I go for a base layer and a medium/heavy softshell.
 BnB 06 Nov 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

> What determines my choice is how cold or wet it is likely to be. If it's wet and warm I go for a base layer a thin summer trouser and a waterproof over trouser. If it's looking cold and settled I go for a base layer and a medium/heavy softshell.

I agree with you in having two systems. But three layers in the warm/wet? Surely just decent tights and a bomber fitted hardshell outer are way more comfortable? (That second question is entirely rhetorical but Warning: generous budget and tolerance for trashing your cash required) )
 Matt Cooper 06 Nov 2014

I've got a pair of salopettes (Mountain Equipment Karakorum) and wear a base layer or merino underneath. find with the full zips you can vent if you get too hot. That works for me !
 The New NickB 06 Nov 2014

It depends, but in general if you can keep the wind and wet out and you are not sitting in snow or leaning on ice too much, your legs don't need much insulation.

Options are generally thermals with a full weight waterproof outer (a heavier weight thermal when very cold) or soft shell with a lightweight waterproof in your sac (thermals as well if very cold). By very cold I mean colder than -5 ambient but will very much depend how hot or cold you run.
trollman 06 Nov 2014
In reply to Matt300:
I have the same, ME Karakorum ,tough as old boots, I just wear Ron hills underneath, it's all about the socks, glove, hat
A
 mattrm 06 Nov 2014

Baselayer (normally merino, sometimes not) and heavy duty softshell (some Patagonia trousers, which have probably been discontinued now), with the option of cheapo waterproofs (Marmot Precips)
Merry 07 Nov 2014

I wear a pair of thermal trousers and a pair of fleece lined walking trousers! Or if its really cold I go for the thermals with a pair of insulated vented ski trousers! I always keep waterproof over trousers in my pack just in case!
 BAdhoc 07 Nov 2014
Rab vapour rise trousers are great, with a waterproof over trousers tho as they weigh a ton when wet!
Post edited at 09:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...