UKC

Galdhoppigen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bharryb 30 Oct 2014
Hi all

I am hoping to go Hillwalking in Norway (and climb Galdhoppigen). However my problem is that I may only be able to go in late May.

I am aware the weather will not be as good however as long as it is safe to do so I am happy to give it a go. I have very good UK hill walking experience and some Alpine experience.

Also I am trying to find information on the route and the information just seems to say my preferred route (Spiterstulen) is just a long 1400m walk-totally non technical, with maybe a need for crampons right at the end. Any help on this would be appreciated.

So, anyone any ideas? Is it safe or is it to early?
 Only a hill 30 Oct 2014
In reply to bharryb:
There will be a lot of snow around in late May. When I went to Jotunheimen in early July 2010 the snowfields were quite extensive down to valley level. That being said, I only put my crampons on once because the snow was all pretty soft. You might still need skis in May.
Post edited at 18:39
 Blunderbuss 30 Oct 2014
In reply to bharryb:

I did that route in mid June and there was no need for crampons. Always wise to take them of course.

It is basically a long hike and in good weather perfectly safe.
 hillman 30 Oct 2014
In reply to bharryb:

To ascent Galdhøpiggen there are two main routes.
From Spiterstulen (at 1100 m, road here wil be open in May) it is 1400 meter elevation on non technical, but continuous steep walking in snow. No glacier. Crampons will not be necessary.
From Juvasshytta (at 1850 m, road opens normally in mid May) it is 600 meter elevation to the top. Easy walking first, the crossing of a flat glacier, with few crevasses. In May these should be covered with much snow. From the other side of the glacier it is steep, but easy scrambling to the top. Even in the end of May there will be guided trips across the glacier, if you prefer this.
 Strachan 30 Oct 2014
In reply to bharryb:

We did this route in july, but with the ridge largely covered in wet snow, and with very little visibility. The only navigational difficulties involved coming down from the summit slopes and locating the ridge to get down, avoiding glaciers, cliffs etc. It is generally a non technical route but has exposed bits (take axe and crampons) and it's worth mentioning that the Spiterstulen campsite is going to be pretty baltic!

Have fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...