UKC

hut to hut in norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Craigyboy13 02 Nov 2014

hey guys, i recently saw a article somewhere about the amazing huts in Norway which then got me thinking about going there this winter.
I've done a good bit of reading, and think the best way is to ski tour, ( i have never skied in my life). so a couple of questions

1. how hard is it learn to ski tour. ( I'm fit and healthy)
2. where do you start when planning a trip to somewhere you know very little about?
3. has anyone done a hut to hut trip across norway?
4. is it possible to get from hut to huts without skiing?

i like the sense of adventure, i know its rather easy with the amount of huts in norway but its still something completely new to me.
how do people plan there routes? do they just buy a map pick a hut to go to then follow there nose when they get there?

any advise would be great, thanks for reading

craig
Post edited at 18:41
 Doug 02 Nov 2014
In reply to Craigyboy13:
> 1. how hard is it learn to ski tour. ( I'm fit and healthy)
if you stay on gentle slopes, pretty easy. Going up is easy, coming down a little less so.

> 2. where do you start when planning a trip to somewhere you know very little about?
For Norway, use the DNT website (http://english.turistforeningen.no/ )

> 3. has anyone done a hut to hut trip across norway?
I've done a few week long trips, sure others who post here have done the same.

> 4. is it possible to get from hut to huts without skiing?
In winter/early spring it'd be hard work unless you were very lucky with the snow conditions. I guess snow shoes would work but you'll still be much slower than on skis (& the huts are spaced assuming you'll be on skis)

> how do people plan there routes? do they just buy a map pick a hut to go to then follow there nose when they get there?

Mix of studying the maps & talking to friends.

Have fun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...