UKC

Getting into ski touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Bennett 04 Nov 2014
As the title really, what's the best way of getting into ski touring. I'm fine on / off piste, have a freeride set up but no partner to just get on with it. Very aware of mountain and snow conditions, scottish winter climber over 30 years. So, just join a club (eagles?), take a course at Glenmore or what?. Prefer to gain experience in UK so as not to take liberties at home with other skiers and their holidays.
 OwenM 04 Nov 2014
In reply to David Bennett:

Yes, either of those options would be good. Where do you live? There are some local ski touring clubs such as Edinburgh and Inverness, I don't know of any in England but I'm sure there will be a few. The Eagles are very good.
OP David Bennett 04 Nov 2014
In reply to OwenM:
Thanks for reply. Live in the Midlands but can get to Fort William or Aviemore to climb so must be able to do so to ski. It will just cost more in petrol without a partner. Anyone in the Midlands in the same predicament?
 kevin stephens 04 Nov 2014

you may find that mountaineering clubs in your area have some ski tourers to team up with. When I bought my touring gear I started by skinning up cairngorm then doing some day tours around Cham with them. Ski tourers from climbing clubs seem to have a healthier approach to self reliance compared to some ski groups who wouldn't dream of doing even simple day tours without a guide
the optimist 05 Nov 2014

Hi David
Im up in south Manchester and hoping to get up to Scotland/lakes (or the peak if we are lucky!!) etc ski touring this winter - similar to you i have 30 yrs winter climbing and ski touring exp
would be happy to team up/share costs - drop me a line if you are interested

phill
 OwenM 05 Nov 2014

If you live in the Midlands then the Bowline climbing club in Leicester has a few ski tourers.
 Rich W Parker 09 Nov 2014

Hi David,
this might interest you........
http://www.offpiste.org.uk/courses/intro-to-ski-touring-eagle-ski-club/
 jepotherepo 10 Nov 2014

Hi David,

I also live in the midlands (nr Nottingham), am trying to get into ski touring - did a course with Glenmore lodge last year - and am keen to get out this winter to gain experience. Id be happy to share petrol costs etc.

Mike

With a name like D Bennett you have a bit of a headstart!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ski-Mountaineering-Scotland-Donald-Bennet/dp/090752...
 Mark Bull 10 Nov 2014
It's not uncommon to see solo tourers in Scotland. Given that you have good mountain sense, there's no special need to have a partner on easier Scottish tours where the avalanche risk is normally pretty low - have a look at some of the route suggestions linked from this thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=602039 and decide whether you would be happy winter hillwalking them solo - if so you should be fine skiing them too. A short course should give you enough of the basics to get you started.
Post edited at 14:48
 Al Palmer 16 Nov 2014

I'm going to be up in Scotland for most for January may be longer. Fairly new to ski touring but lots of off-piste experience, on and off 20 years winter mountaineering. Looking for a ski-partner for a few days. Drop us a line if interested.

Al.
Living Manchester now, since July last year, after 30 years of life in NE Scotland. Keen to get back for a few trips this winter - have been ski touring for many years
Get in touch if keen: daveatmarATbtinternetDOTcom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...