UKC

Fairy Cave Quarry Rockfall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 deepstar 05 Nov 2014
There has been a fairly substantial rockfall in the Rob's Slab area. A mini size section of slab between the first and third overlap has fallen off Volume Eleven and landed on the "slumped blocks" below, it looks like there is more to follow. Photo on it's way.
 Mr-Cowdrey 05 Nov 2014
In reply to deepstar:

Ohh dear, how much has it affected the route? In all fairness, those blocks have always looked dodgy, good job no one was on it at the time.
OP deepstar 05 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

> Ohh dear, how much has it affected the route?

I would'nt have thought it was climbable at the moment, it probably needs a bit of time to stabilize.
In reply to deepstar:
Must have just happened, all looked ok when I had a walk round last week. There is a sizeable loose looking block on Life in Limbo which I plan on removing sometime soon. There have been several small rockfalls over the last few months but not on the recommended (starred) routes.

Ian
OP deepstar 05 Nov 2014
In reply to deepstar:

After looking at my guidebook photo with a magnifying glass I think that the rockfall is actually on the route next door, which is "Seven-mile Throb E5 6b.
 Rick Sewards 05 Nov 2014
In reply to deepstar:

I've just seen your photo and I agree - Volume Eleven is (thankfully) unaffected as far as I can see - it goes through the roofs to the left of the tree in the foreground. I agree that Seven Mile Throb appears to have largely fallen down based on the topo in the guidebook (obviously I have no further knowledge on the that one!). Relieved about that - I agree with Brian's guide that Rob's Crack and Moving Target are the two three-star routes in the quarry, but I thought Volume Eleven was the next best (of the one's I've done).

Rick
OP deepstar 05 Nov 2014
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Thanks for your comments Rick and although both routes are well beyond me I think Volume Eleven should be treated with caution for a while as that whole area is probably de-stabilized by the rockfall.Hopefully it wont spread any further.
 The Pylon King 06 Nov 2014
In reply to deepstar:

I remember abbing down that corner ( that has fallen off) and right hand little slab prospecting when we were doing the guide and remember thinking it all looked well suspect.
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Doesn't look like SMT is affected at all as far as i can see, may even get a new line to its right through the rockscar
OP deepstar 06 Nov 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

> Doesn't look like SMT is affected at all as far as i can see, may even get a new line to its right through the rockscar

So is the rockfall actually to the right of SMT ? and is there nothing between there and Summer Daze ? If so the rockfall might have done a bit of good in the long run.
In reply to deepstar:

> So is the rockfall actually to the right of SMT ? and is there nothing between there and Summer Daze ? If so the rockfall might have done a bit of good in the long run.

Yes it certainly looks like that. I did look at the bit that has now fallen away for a potential route but it just looked too hard and well, rather unstable!! So now i think there is some potential there!
Post edited at 10:07
 Rog Wilko 08 Nov 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

Just trying to visualise a corner falling off
 The Pylon King 08 Nov 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Well yes, its the piece of slab that former a corner.
OP deepstar 08 Nov 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Just trying to visualise a corner falling off

Interesting yes ! well imagine a tiled roof and you pull one tile from the bottom right corner, you had a corner there before and you still have one now but it's lower. Does that make sense?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...