UKC

Scottish Winter Gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alpenglow 06 Nov 2014
Looking at getting another pair of gloves for the upcoming season.
I own a pair of ME guide (will be retiring) and some BD Punishers.

The ME fit really well however the inner fleece lining kept coming off a bit and they're are starting to wear out (they're a few seasons old).
The BD are really well made however the fit isn't that good - too much space at the end of fingers.

I'm looking at:
Montane Tigertooth Pro
Montane Alpine Stretch
Rab Latok
Rab Guide
Lowe Alpine Raptor

Anyone had any experience with the above or any others?

Cheers.
In reply to blackreaver:

This big glove review from last season might be useful: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=6049
OP Alpenglow 06 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Thanks.

I'm liking the look of the Rab Guide so far.
 galpinos 06 Nov 2014
In reply to blackreaver:
As this is UKC I'm going to ignore every glove you've asked about and suggest:

ME Randonee Glove - Pile lined softshell, the mutts nuts. Enough dexterity to climb, warm, don't "wet out". Buy them tight as the pile does pack down a bit.

(I use Mercury Mitts as back up belay mitts but rarely need them and Cham Bin Men gloves for less technical stuff. I only climb up to Grade V though)

Edit - I see they do a Gauntlet version now which would be even better!
Post edited at 17:36
 edunn 06 Nov 2014
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I use this system:
http://scottishmountaineer.com/gloves-that-dont-cost-an-arm/

I bought the Argons a couple of years ago. They have lasted me four winter trips and two to the Alps. They are past their useful life for climbing now, but for £6 you can't go wrong. And I still use them for cycling.

I back them up with the Chamonix bin men gloves, which are super super warm, but not very waterproof. I'm considering soaking the gloves in mink oil, or some sort of wax just to add water repellency, then I think the system will be complete.
 steveshaking 06 Nov 2014
In reply to blackreaver:
I have the mountain equipment Guide gloves which are good value and in the right conditions are OK, but where they fall down is the difficulty getting them back on with damp hands.
The Lowe Alpine Raptor are far better in this respect and are now the gloves I use the most, the Guides now being a back up. The are featured in the review and I think its a fair review although I rarely have to take them off so may be the dexterity issue is more of a personal fit issue.

In reply to steveshaking:

> I have the mountain equipment Guide gloves which are good value and in the right conditions are OK, but where they fall down is the difficulty getting them back on with damp hands.

I use a pair of super thin liners under the ME Guide which seems to get them on and off, but I agree its not ideal. I started using the liners because of some nerve damage on the fingers which the liners seem to help with, and the improved on/off was a side effect.

But I haven't managed to persuade a pair of ME Guides to last more than one season. Last year's pair are now my ski gloves. So I'm looking to change as well.

As a side note, I don't understand how people wear the same gloves for Scottish winter and Alps summer. Maybe I'm not climbing hard enough but the requirements seem totally different to me!

In reply to edunn:

Do you wear the binman gloves over the Argons or swap out?
 Sharp 06 Nov 2014
In reply to edunn:

> ... but not very waterproof. I'm considering soaking the gloves in mink oil, or some sort of wax just to add water repellency, then I think the system will be complete.

"sno seal". They'll wet out eventually but it's way better than nikwax.
In reply to blackreaver:

Montane Tigertooth Pro
Montane Alpine Stretch
Rab Latok
Rab Guide
Lowe Alpine Raptor

Those all have rather different fits. Are your viable options really that wide?

I use a thin dextrous set for leading, ME Super Alpine.

Then for belaying a set of Buffalo mitts.

Sometimes I take as a spare pair some ME Guides.

You need different gloves for different things in winterclimbing.
 BnB 06 Nov 2014
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

> I use a thin dextrous set for leading, ME Super Alpine.

> Then for belaying a set of Buffalo mitts.

> Sometimes I take as a spare pair some ME Guides.

> You need different gloves for different things in winterclimbing.

Spot on. I want maximum dexterity on the lead (or just on the move). I throw a supersized mitt outer (inner discarded) on over the Super Alpines at the belay
 simon kimber 07 Nov 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

Surprised no-one's mentioned these: http://www.outside.co.uk/shop/Lodestar+Glove

The fit is amazing and they seem very dextrous, with some seriously pre-curved fingers, and a light, pile-lined fabric.
 HeMa 07 Nov 2014
In reply to simon kimber:

I really like the Lodestarts, and they're prefectly fine up to -10 C.

But if it is wet, they will also become wet.

OR Warrant is rather spendy, but by far the best glove I've used for winter climbing (when it can be either really cold or wet... or both, which can happen reasonably often when climbing cascades here in Scandiland).
 iksander 07 Nov 2014
In reply to blackreaver:

If ME gloves fit you well, I'd second Randonee or better still Mountain Stretch
 Batt 09 Nov 2014
In reply to iksander:

Third for the randonee. And agree, buy them tight for leading and an outer mitt/tuff bag or summat for belaying. I find they do get wet but they're still amazingly warm when wet. Don't wear them to walk in or you'll sweat into them, I wear really thin liners for the walk in just to take the edge off.

I've had three pairs. Rubbed nikwax into the palms to help with waterproofing and used silicon sealant to help reinforce the seams and prolong life.

I wear them for ski-touring/Alps too backed up with the tuff bag when necessary.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...