UKC

Getting around in Kenya - Costs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hello,

Would anyone be able to offer me some advise about travelling in Kenya and the costs involved please?

My wife and I fly into Nairobi on 27 December. We need to get to Nanyuki (Our plan is to climb Mount Kenya) what is the best way to do this?

We've been recommended to stay at Naro Moro River Lodge. I've got in touch with them about arranging transport from the airport and they've quoted us over $200 one way which seems like a lot.

We'd like to pre book something ideally or can we just jump in a taxi? If any one has any idea of the costs involved or any advice it would be gratefully received.

Cheers, Tom
 OwenM 11 Nov 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

It's quite a long way from Nairobi several hours drive, $200 doesn't sound too much.
Removed User 11 Nov 2014

Have you ever been to Africa before?
 Phil1919 11 Nov 2014
We went by bus but that was in the early 80's....
 russtyg 11 Nov 2014

Hello,

My partner and I traveled a little in Kenya in 2012. What may be relevant to you was the bus ride from Nairobi to Moshi in order to climb Kilimanjaro. I think it was around $35 per person and took 8.5 hours. It sounds like you have been quoted for a private car, which will be much quicker and more comfortable. It will also probably be safer as many local Kenyans started to get rather irate with our bus driver as he was driving dangerously fast and overtaking like a maniac. We enjoyed it though.

Have a great trip! I'm jealous!

Just got back last week after a successful ascent on MT Kenya. Take the hassle out of it and go with these guys http://www.savagewilderness.org/ They did a fantastic job from start to finish.
 OwenM 11 Nov 2014

If you don't mind taking all day you could try getting a Matatus, they'd be very cheep.
J1234 12 Nov 2014

Really there is only one way to travel in Africa, its eco friendly and it will save you money youtube.com/watch?v=X8lLUdyaFO0&
Rigid Raider 13 Nov 2014

No fear! I once got up close and personal with an elephant in South Africa and when I got back to the hotel and looked in the mirror I realised that I had turned orange with her dust!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...