UKC

Nano air or Atom LT?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr-Cowdrey 12 Nov 2014
Having a first world issue here and can't decide which to buy so I'm leaving it to the great minds of the UKC public.

I've read the review of the Womans Nano air on here and had a flick through the replies, and the issue of throwing on a shell doesn't bother me as I'll be wearing a shell anyway and using either as a midlayer.

I'll be using them for winter & summer alpine climbing, ski touring and UK winter.

Cheers
 BnB 12 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Atom LT is great but Nano Air has a wider operating range. You'll definitely get more use out of it. That'll be obvious the minute you put it on, especially if you intend to use it predominantly as a mid-layer.
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Whichever fits you better. With this type of insulation it's especially important that it fits really well, otherwise that thin layer of insulation won't be doing too much.
 AlanLittle 12 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

LT for me is definitely a light belay jacket, too sweaty when moving. Others (e.g. Dane Burns at ColdThistle) speak highly of it for wear whilst climbing; they either don't sweat as much as me or go out in colder weather.

No experience with the newfangled Alpha stuff
 JayPee630 12 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

They're different types on insulation for different purposes. Sure they overlap a bit but the NanoAir is more for active use. The LT can be used but has fleece underarms to help with breathability.
OP Mr-Cowdrey 12 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Both Patagonia and Arcteryx fit me well in Medium, Arcteryx probably a little better to be honest. I generally run quite warm and like to be able to dump heat quickly but also i like to stay warm (doesn't everyone?)

So in terms of ski touring, mountaineering and technical winter climbs, which would you choose?
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

There isn't really a right answer, it depends more how you move. If you stop/start a lot maybe choose the warmer as more of a mini belay jacket. If you have the stamina to go for long stints then breathability is your priority.

Me personally, if I'm moving then I'm cooking and a fleece + windstopper should cover most bases, even in cold conditions. I also like to know I'm carrying a bit of overkill in the bag for when it all hits the fan. That way when the wind is howling and it's -30, I'm enjoying the view whilst everyone else runs for cover.
 alasdair19 16 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I wore the atom lt vest as a layer all winter really good. If I had the jacket I'd probably wear it instead. If its cold and your working hard enough to sweat as much as me your not going to be comfortable!

buy the one in the coolest colour
 planetmarshall 16 Nov 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I do virtually all my Alpine and Winter climbing in a bright orange Atom LT hoody. I also recommend a pair of contrasting trousers,I guarantee they will make you climb harder. Haglofs Skarn in neon yellow are my current choice.
 TimmyG 18 Nov 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

How do you get on with the hood on the Atom LT hoody? I find it a pain not being able to adjust it. It's nice that it goes over a helmet, but without one the thing just blows down - or even more annoyingly, half way down.
 BnB 18 Nov 2014
In reply to vegemite:

My wife has the same grumble. Scuba hoods look a bit odd but they are better behaved.
 L.A. 18 Nov 2014
In reply to vegemite:
Atom Lt has a rear volume adjuster on the new versions
 planetmarshall 19 Nov 2014
In reply to vegemite:

> How do you get on with the hood on the Atom LT hoody? I find it a pain not being able to adjust it. It's nice that it goes over a helmet, but without one the thing just blows down - or even more annoyingly, half way down.

In all honesty I could live without the hood - and will probably dispense with it when I inevitably buy another one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...