UKC

Tenerife. Best location, and crags for up to 6b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kid Spatula 17 Nov 2014
Likely going to Tenerife for a spell in February, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to stay? Looking at El Medano and La Orotava at present. Which of these is more convenient for the climbing yet has nightlife and things?

As a secondary question, outside of Arico and Las Canadas what crags have a decent amount of 5s through to 6b? Ideally with a lot of 6a if possible. Apparently theres been loads of activity since the guidebook was printed.

Is there any bolted multipitch at around grade 5? Or is it mainly trad?

Apologies if it's been asked before but a lot of the responses are fairly old.

Cheers!
 Mike-W-99 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Kid Spatula:

You are better going into the roxtar shop and ask them. There has been a lot of development and they can provide up to date info.
They've moved the shop to Arico by the way.

Unfortunately some b@stard emptied our car in the decathlon carpark before we got a chance to look at the new developments. Just a warning.

We got an apartment in amarilla del golf through ownersdirect. Not good for nightlife unless you are 60something though!
 goose299 17 Nov 2014
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Yeh, the roxtar guys will be able to give you the most up to date info.
They were brillaint with helping us out and directing us to crags
OP Kid Spatula 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Cheers all. Presumably there is a lot more than there is in the guidebook, as there are hardly any 5s and 6as at Arico in there, whereas on here there are loads.
 Craigyboy13 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Kid Spatula:

was there this march, me and my friend staying in the cheaper end las americas we just got a package holiday worked out cheap and when we have finished climbing we could go to the pubs and clubs.

the grades are hard for there grade. most the routes that have been put up have been put up by good climbers so the lower end grades are hit and miss. the climbing is very powerful, pump routes. we managed to get up to 6b+ towards the end of the week but took some falls getting there.

but a really interesting place. amazing scenery as soon as you leave las americas .

there is tonnes of very good bouldering there as well!
 John Cooke 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Hi,

Out here at the moment with the lady.

El Medano v nice - feels quite a sporty town. Popular with kite/wind surfers. Good vibe. Great food. Nice in the evening.

We've just spent 7 nights in La Escalona. Way out in the sticks but fine for us. Now in Oratava for 3 nights for a change of scenery. Nice town.

Climbing in Arico some of the best. Climbing shop has moved there now and hostel above. El M would be a good base to climb in Arico. Can get bus and hitch or hire car and 30 mins drive.

Also good running/walking around Teide and Masca gorge.

Good cycling to be had too. Bike hire in El Medano.

Drop me an email if you want any more info or chat.

John
 PATTISON Bill 21 Nov 2014
In reply to John Cooke:

Spent a year there altogether,new stuff going up all over the place.Would certainly recommend it as a winter venue.Lots to do cragging ,bouldering, cycling ,some great walks and swimming.Contact Steve and Susanne at Amarilla Car Hire,for car and property hire ,pickup from airport and general help.Golf Sur not a bad place to stay ,close to airport and handy for getting around the island.For night life you need Los Christianos or Las Americas
 Dave Musgrove 21 Nov 2014
In reply to John Cooke:

We thought El Rio was particularly good, and there are several new lower grade routes , not in the guide, at the left hand end of the right wall in the upper gorge. I also enjoyed Guaria which is a big south facing cliff above Los Gigantes suitable for a cloudy day. Not too much below 6b here but worth at least one day.

Have a look at my photo gallery which gives a good idea of the sort of thing on offer at several of the crags we visited last January.

I thought the bolting was pretty good on all the cliffs we visited except perhaps Las Vegas. Some of the first bolts were a bit high up on Las Canadas as well but this is a great area with plenty to go at once you get yourself orientated - its a bit of a maze at first!.
Arrico upper gorge will give you several days climbing up to 6b but try to avoid it at weekends when it gets very busy with locals who all seem to like to bring a noisy dog with them.
 goose299 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Kid Spatula:

Guaria is a pretty impressive valley crag. a must visit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...