UKC

Moving to america

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Adam Tatlock 18 Nov 2014
Hi all!

This might be ridiculous but like probably most other climbers I would love to live near Yosemite. Living in England moving to this place would be a dream come true. Anyone know anything about moving there holding a summer mountain leader and winter mountain leader qualification. Would they go towards me getting a visa to live there and would they be recognised over there so I could get a job in the outdoor industry. Any information would be fantastic as at the moment it is just a pipe dream but hopefully a possibility in the future.
Many thanks Adam
 USBRIT 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Adam Tatlock:

You will have better luck posting on mountainproject.com
 seankenny 19 Nov 2014

I'm guessing that, in terms of emigrating to America, the best thing about doing those courses would be getting ripped. Combine your soon-to-be superb mountaineer's physique with an English accent and your chances of marrying an American woman are considerably increased.
 london_huddy 19 Nov 2014

http://www.travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-proce...

Your quals won't mean much unfortunately, although they might help if you do want to start down the path again in the US. They'll help a bit if you're looking working at summer camps with kids but there's no direct recognition.

Overall, it's a long and expensive process to get a permanent visa.
 Owen W-G 19 Nov 2014

Make sure you watch Eddie Murphy's Coming to America. It'll tell you all you need to know.

Glad to be of help.
 Fraser 19 Nov 2014
In reply to seankenny:

> ... your chances of marrying an American woman are considerably increased.

Beat me to it. It's probably the simplest way of moving there permanently. Hypothetically speaking
(It' s what I did, but not why I did it. Sadly, I'm still in the UK!)
 imkevinmc 19 Nov 2014

Put USA on the back boiler and get loads of experience in countries you are entitled to work in.

Any of the european ranges would be a nice start
 dsh 19 Nov 2014

It took me 18 months to get my Green Card and I'm married to an American.

You're unlikely to get sponsored for a job based on those qualifications as 1) The USA will have it's own qualifications and 2) There are plenty of US Citizens who can do those jobs.

One option would be a Canadian working holiday visa if you're 30 or under and live in Vancouver, then you're not that long a flight from Yosemite, near Squamish and Whistler, and you get to live in a cool city.

Might be worth contacting SP Parker through Sierra Mtn Center. He is a native Kiwi who moved over to the Sierra Eastside. I'm sure there are others but he's the only one I know of and the company is very helpful with route and conditions advice so might also be helpful on this.

http://www.sierramountaincenter.com/bio_sp.html
Post edited at 14:32

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...