UKC

Tyre choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 19 Nov 2014
I have a hybrid bike with hub gears which I use for commuting and cycle touring.

I need new tyres and am stuck between the Schwalbe Marathon Plus http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-marathon-plus-road-tyre-smart-g... and the Schwalbe Marathon Touring http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-marathon-touring-tyre-greenguar...

Currently I have Schwalbe Delta Cruisers. Tyre size is 700c/32c

My concern is that the weight and rolling resistance of both of the above tyres will be considerable but I understand that.

Which of the two is the more suitable though?
 JLS 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Cuthbert:

I'd go for Schwalbe Marathon Plus Road Tyre - Smart Guard 700x25.

The Touring ones look like the tread will have higher rolling resistance.
I can't really see the point of tyres wider than 25 for road riding. Sure a 25 might blow on hitting a pot hole where a 32 might survive but I'd still take the speed for 200 days a year and risk a 15 minute tube change delay maybe once a year.
OP Cuthbert 19 Nov 2014
In reply to JLS:

Thanks. Not sure my rims will take that size though.
 Andrew W 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Cuthbert:

The CRC link seems to show the picture of the standard marathon for the marathon tour.

I'm currently using the standard marathon plus in 28c for commuting and short sections of gravel paths and I've used the marathon plus tour in 40c when touring and it seems a bit more stable on looser gravel but would have no issues touring on either of them. Both have quite a lot of rolling resistance but that is fairly standard on that sort of tyre. If it was for road use only I might look at either the marathon supreme or racer due to being 500g lighter per tyre and probably with less drag as well.
 TobyA 19 Nov 2014
In reply to Cuthbert:

I've just swapped my Marathon Pluses for my newer pair of Marathon Plus Tours. Yes both are heavy and expensive, but the standard Marathon Plus pair have done over 10,000 kms without a puncture and still look OK after 6 or 7 years of heavy use. The Tours are newer but I haven't punctured them in some 1000 or so kms at guess, and that includes quite a lot of gravel road riding with bikepacking kit.

I recently bought Durano Plus for my road bike because I'm so impressed with them.

If you ride mainly road, I'd got for the standard Plus model, and you'll probably not need to worry about your tyres for years and years!

If pumped up to the suggested max, I don't find either pair are bad for rolling resistance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...