UKC

Multi activity with climbing destinations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elsier 19 Nov 2014
Where would you recommend for a multi activity holiday with good rock climbing as well as options for other activities (trail running, skiing, kayaking etc)

I am looking for somewhere to go this March, but am also interested in destinations that might be good at other times of year, as I enjoy a bit of variety on my climbing trips.
 d_b 20 Nov 2014
Slovenia would be good for later in the summer, but too cold in March.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Elsier:

The Dolomites has climbing, ski touring, mountain biking, road biking, kayaking (though not much), Via Ferrata, trail running etc around April / May.

However if you want to rock climb properly it's better forgoing the skiing and waiting until mid summer to fully appreciate what the area has to offer.
 SenzuBean 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Elsier:

March is end of summer in Southern hemisphere, so you'll get great weather in New Zealand / Australia.
In reply to Elsier:

Hi there I live in the Ecrins southern french Alps

It is possible to do all those activities here in March, we have very good weather here in general, at the moment the snow is here so tues, weds I was ski touring, today climbing down the valley warm enough to climb tops off.

March last year had good weather so climbing and skiing was easy( in resort snow wasn't that great but ok)
Also as it was warm there was a mini melt and the rivers came up for kayaking, it normally drops cold again April may and has the real melt end in May, and then the kayaking season proper kicks off, there is every thing grade wise for white water kayaking and the best in France, if you won't flat water there is the biggest man made lake in France an hour away?
For climbing there are 80+ Sports crags here, some of the will be to shady or high then but lots will be fine,

Now the last two march's have been the same, so this one may be wet rainy and crap snow? But if you wait till last min it's a good bet,
If you would like an info please get intouch
Cheers Rob
OP Elsier 20 Nov 2014
In reply to James Rushforth:

Thanks yes I've been to the Dolomites a few times, it is a really great place, with lots of options for adventure.
OP Elsier 20 Nov 2014
In reply to SenzuBean

Ha ha yes I spent last March in New Zealand, but I only have a week this time, so that's too far!
OP Elsier 20 Nov 2014
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Thanks that sounds like quite a good option.

My friend who I am going with is a very good skier but a novice climber, so we thought if we mixed it up a bit it would be more interesting for both of us.

I had also thought about Malta or Ariege, but it sounds like the best time to visit Malta is the Autumn when the sea is a bit warmer so I would be able to try the DWS too. I'm not sure about Ariege, I guess like the Ecrins the worry is it will be too warm for skiing but still quite chilly and possibly damp for climbing.

But hopefully something should be possible, if there are lots of activities available.
 john arran 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Elsier:

Ariège in March:

Single pitch climbing - big tick
Multi pitch climbing - big tick
Via ferrata - tick
Alpine skiing - tick
Nordic skiing - tick
Ski touring - tick
Snowshoeing - tick
Trail running - tick (better in summer)
Road biking - tick (better in summer)
Mountain biking - tick
Kayaking - cccoldddd! (better in summer)
Caving - big tick
Paragliding - tick (better in summer)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...