UKC

Jeremy Vine caught speeding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mikek 20 Nov 2014
What about this: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/nov/20/jeremy-vine-speeding-bicycle-1...
How can you go at less than 5 mph on a bike? And how do you know?
Mike
 tim000 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Mikek:

what a stupid speed limit . people can run faster than that . are they pulling joggers over as well?
 climbalive 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Mikek:
If I remember right the speed limit only counts if you are in / on a motorised vehicle, I have seen people set GATSO's off on inline skates but nothing could be done because they aren't powered. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
 bigbobbyking 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Mikek:

I think this is a bike specific speed limit on a shared bike/pedestrian path in a park. Does seem a stupidly low speed limit. If they want bikes to go that slowly they should really just say bikes may not be ridden, like they do in parts of Hyde park (which is fair enough).
 tim000 20 Nov 2014
In reply to climbalive:

i also thought if it`s not a legal requirment to have a speedo fitted you cant be done either . there is an offence called something like frantic cycling though.
 Brass Nipples 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Mikek:

Nope no UK wide cycling specific laws on speeding. There is driving a carriage furiously from the 19th century, whatever that means. Must be a local bylaw in place.
In reply to Orgsm:

> Must be a local bylaw in place.

But surely not enforceable as there is no requirement for a speedometer on a bicycle.
 ChrisJD 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Mikek:

Interesting comment about Royal Parks speed limit at the bottom of this web-page:

http://www.astounding.org.uk/ian/cyclelaw/speed_limits.html
 Chris the Tall 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Whilst the law may be stupid (and dangerous - encouraging cyclists to take to those oh so safe roads in the area), not knowing how fast you are going is hardly a valid excuse
 Trevers 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Mikek:

Reading through the comments in The Guardian article, it appears nobody can actually find a shred of evidence that this 5mph speed limit exists.
In reply to Mikek:

So basically the police were lying, there is no 5mph limit
 Trevers 20 Nov 2014
In reply to Orgsm:
> So basically the police were lying, there is no 5mph limit

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/41813/the_royal_p...

To put it bluntly, yes. They appear to have plucked an offense out of their arses

EDIT - I found the vaguest reference to 5mph here:
https://www.royalparks.org.uk/park-management/park-regulations-and-policies...
Post edited at 23:05
In reply to Trevers:

Nah, may be as low as ... And under what law, and what is the offence and what is the penalty, and where is that published? Talking out of their @rses as you say.

ChrisJD 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

The Parks would appear to have their own Police:

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/park-management/policing-in-the-royal-parks
 Trevers 21 Nov 2014
In reply to ChrisJD:

> The Parks would appear to have their own Police:

Who have the power to makes up rules on the spot, apparently?
 The Potato 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Mikek:

ugh had to listen to this over lunchtime, cyclists do this bla bla bla, well pedestrians rarely look where they are going or have any awareness of whats around them, car drivers rarely look before opening a car door.
Ive had far more near misses due to other people not looking when im cycling than me crashing in to someone or exceeding the speed limit.
Anyway who gives a toss if he was doing 15mph why should it be national news, motorists get caught doing stupid speeds every single day.
 Trevers 21 Nov 2014
In reply to ow arm:

I really don't understand how is it that any time anything related to cyclists pops up in the news, you get hundreds of idiots bleating on about everything bad they've ever seen someone on a bike do.

When there's a big motorway crash in the news, noone rings up radio stations complaining that they also saw one of those horrid drivers running a red light the other day.

People can't even get their stereotypes correct. There's a huge amount of shit written on the internet about lycra louts riding expensive bikes on pavements, which due to the obvious difficulties in negotiating a narrow wheeled suspensionless racing bike on a bad surface, is something that's never happened ever in the history of the world.

How is it that the mention of a bicycle, a pretty harmless thing which certainly hasn't plunged society into chaos and moral decline, provokes such uttery idiocy and tw*tishness from so many people? So a horrid cyclist ran a red light? Did he? Won't someone think of the kids!? Cry me a f***ing river mate. FFS

/Rant

Twats :|
 john arran 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Trevers:

Quality rant; top marks.
 tim000 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Trevers:

prefectly put. today i saw some dickhead driving on the M56 in the dark and pouring rain with no lights on . dosn`t mean that every driver on the road is a dick.
 Chris the Tall 21 Nov 2014
In reply to Trevers:

> When there's a big motorway crash in the news, noone rings up radio stations complaining that they also saw one of those horrid drivers running a red light the other day.

That's because drivers pay road tax and cyclists don't......

Just kidding - I've made the same rant myself a few times
 nufkin 22 Nov 2014
In reply to Trevers:

> lycra louts riding expensive bikes on pavements, which due to the obvious difficulties in negotiating a narrow wheeled suspensionless racing bike on a bad surface, is something that's never happened ever in the history of the world

I tried it once, on a section of marbled pavement in the rain. Bike slipped sideways under me and I ended up on the ground in front of a bus-stop full of people

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...