UKC

ski down from the Fuentes De Cable car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
marko 24 Nov 2014
I wonder if anybody is aware of routes back down from the Fuente De cablecar in the Picos in northern Spain? Obviously there is some great ski touring from the top but everything i've found includes a trip back down in the cable car, surely there must be some, ski routes???
RockShock 24 Nov 2014
In reply to marko:

I haven't done any of the below and my Picos skiing experience is quite limited, so the below is only based on research, not personal experience:

You have three options:

1. http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=452028 (only the last part of this track, check in the elevation profile where the last descent begins around 10km mark) is a super easy descent following a 4x4 track that takes you to Espinama village. This means you'd need two cars, or else you need to go back to Fuente De on foot to get back to the car. The descent is long and easy angled, biggest problem is that you need _a_lot_of_snow to be able to Espinama, as the pueblo is quite low and doesn't get that much snow. (by the way, I recommend a small rural hotel there that's called Vicente Campo - they have good accomodation and good restaurant. There's also a good hostel Nevandi just on the other side of the road - worse food but nice rooms)

2. If you're up for it, and the conditions allow, you can try descending via Canal Jenduda:

http://personales.gestion.unican.es/garciaj/jenduda.html

youtube.com/watch?v=-OKqjW43S1M&

I haven't done it, so I only base on what I heard. This descent can be quite committing so make sure you do it only if the group has the skills to do it safely.

3. I am guessing it would also be possible to get down the Tornos de Liordes, however I'd expect it to be really avalanche-prone and also quite committing, especially in the upper middle parts...

Hope this helps you a bit
RS
 OwenM 24 Nov 2014
In reply to marko:

Snow that low doesn't last very long but there is footpath down, from the top station looking down hill it goes off to the left. It follows a series of zig_zags, we skied some of it before the snow ran out, wasn't really worth the effort.
marko 24 Nov 2014
In reply to RockShock:

Thanks RS, i've no interest in doing the winding path, the other two options look quite interesting, let's see what the season brings wrt snow. I've just moved to Gijon so easy access at a moments notice
RockShock 24 Nov 2014
In reply to marko:

If you're into competitions, keep your eyes peeled for

Travesia Regil: 40th edition this year! ( http://www.travesiaregil.com/home.php ) - places go within days, always a great event - 14th and 15th of March

and

Sotres Ski Tour: 2st1-22nd of March

Both are great ways to get to know the region and accomodate for both runners and slower skiers (within certain sensible rules!)

Cheers
RS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...