UKC

Slovenia - Winter Climbing/Skiing in March

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alexm198 28 Nov 2014
Looking for some advice on Slovenia/Julian Alps:

- Are conditions reliable for winter climbing in March? (For example, Triglav and the surrounding area)

- How well-developed is the climbing community out there? I guess the fact I speak no Slovene and don't know anybody might make it nigh on impossible to find a climbing partner?

- Has anyone been skiing in Slovenia? Do snow conditions tend to be good that late in the season? (I'm a skiing punter so I'm referring to pisted stuff).
 Duco 30 Nov 2014
In reply to alexm198:

1. Well it depends a lot, it varies each year; 3 years ago, for example, conditions were awesome (gullies, icefalls, ...) in March. Last 2 years there was, however, too much snow, so climbing conditions were sub-par (although persistent people found lines as well). Anyhow, there should be enough snow in the mountains to allow for winter climbing.

2. The climbing community's actually quite developed, it's just not particularly foreigner-oriented. So all guidebooks are in Slovene, etc. Still, I think it's doable to find a climbing partner around here.

3. March is actually regarded by many as the best off-piste skiing month. That obviously means that on-piste skiing should also be good in that period. But mind you that Slovenian ski centres are not as big as the Austrian or Italian ones in the vicinity.
OP alexm198 01 Dec 2014
In reply to Duco:

Thanks for your reply Duco.

I guess the next logical question is... wanna go climbing? In all seriousness though, if you know anybody who would be up for showing me some of the local climbing then that'd be super cool.
 Zgemba 02 Dec 2014
In reply to alexm198:

Let us know when you are coming and where you'll be staying. I'm sure we can hook you up with some local people who can show you around.
 Duco 05 Dec 2014
In reply to alexm198:

I'd actually love to show you some stuff around, but I'm gonna be in NZ for 2 months just at that period. So I hope conditions are good when you visit and Zgemba get you a partner!
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 06 Dec 2014
In reply to Duco:

In reply to matejn:

http://www.cesen.com/agk/gallery.php?id=21022014

That was me in Feb, with my friend Ales Cesen, IFMGA guide

I can put you in touch if you are looking for guided tours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...