UKC

New Zealand Castle hill bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rich2002 02 Dec 2014
Anyone have any info on Castle hill. I have read most of the articles out there and I have no doubt it will be awesome just could with some info on logistics for someone traveling on there own. Where is the best place to stay and meet other climbers, can you hire mats ? Any help much appreciated
 damowilk 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Rich2002:

Christchurch is probably the best base, there isn't really a closer place that has a climbing scene to meet partners. Public transport is non existent. There isn't really a good active climbing forum in NZ currently, the existing one isn't used much, but there is a good Facebook page called Where are you climbing tonight Christchurch, which is the best bet for getting lifts and partners.
You can drop me a line, I don't Boulder hard and haven't been there too many times, but it's my intention to get out there more often.

Flock hill has less polish, but more of a walk in and there is an email address that you have to use to say you are going there, but this might all change as it has new American owners who already appear a bit anti outdoor use!

The first time you go to CH, expect to get completely lost and some classic problems are very polished.
 Adam Lincoln 02 Dec 2014
In reply to damowilk:

> Christchurch is probably the best base, there isn't really a closer place that has a climbing scene to meet partners.

Hmmm, probably the worst advice i have heard for a while! Do you know how far CC is from Castle Hill? Would you want to do that every day? Where would you suggest he meets partners in Christchurch?

What you could do, which would be a hell of a lot easier is stay in the sheering cabins, like most people do, or camp just down from the climbing where most of the climbers that do camp stay.
 damowilk 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

I live in Christchurch, so yes I have some idea! If you have partners sorted, by all means advise staying closer; if as the OP states, you want to meet someone to climb with, then there is no reliable place to just turn up at, and a few days at the beginning in Christchurch to hook up with someone is no bad thing.
Compared to most of my mountaineering and ski trips, the CH drive now seems like a short jaunt
 Adam Lincoln 02 Dec 2014
In reply to damowilk:

> I live in Christchurch, so yes I have some idea! If you have partners sorted, by all means advise staying closer; if as the OP states, you want to meet someone to climb with, then there is no reliable place to just turn up at, and a few days at the beginning in Christchurch to hook up with someone is no bad thing.

There are usually 20 or 30 people camping who would be more than willing to let the OP climb with them! Plus the shearing cabins. Not sure what the problem is? Easy peasy.
 damowilk 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

The nearest allowed camping is 5km at cave stream, it's not advised to camp just anywhere, relationships between climbers and DoC and local landowners are delicate, and local climbers would not take well to visiting climbers upsetting this!
Particularly with the state of flux with the new owners of Flock Hill station.

I've never stayed at Cave Stream, or the shearing shed (run by the local land owner) so I don't know how it is to meet fellow climbers there, so happy to admit that advice of visitors is likely to be better than mine with regards to that.

But coming to Christchurch first and using the above FB page to meet up with local boulderers with good knowledge of the problems is also a viable option.
 Bobling 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Rich2002:

Also see this thread if you have not already http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=603708&v=1#x7936599
 madam 03 Dec 2014
In reply to Rich2002:
Hey Rich,
I have been to NZ 2010 and spent in Castle Hill a month during June (winter time, less people, better climbing weather). Half time with a car, then cooked it and half time without a car
In my opinion: Christchurch could be good for finding people "online". If you just wanna hit Castle Hill without trying to find anybody beforehand on the web, than I would go to Springfield (apprx. 20km from Castle Hill. Bus goes tthere from CC) -> small village where you can rent a crashpad. Hitchhike to Castle Hill. Either find some people directly at the boulders. Or go to Craigieburn shelter (google it) or to the FlockHill Lodge. Both of these places are apprx. 10km from the bouldering places. I am pretty sure you can hook up with somebody there who gives you a ride "everyday"

adam
Post edited at 11:35
OP Rich2002 03 Dec 2014
In reply to madam:

Hi all

Thanks for the advice, a few days in Christchurch to start with sounds like a good option then head out for a week or so and see what happens. Am pretty flexible so I am sure I will be able to sort something out.

thanks again.
 damowilk 03 Dec 2014
In reply to madam:

Flock Hill lodge closed, has been for a while. The Flock Hill station has new overseas owners.
In reply to Rich2002:

You'll need a car in reality

Best places to stay for Castle Hill: Camp at Craigieburn shelter - in the middle of nowhere so you'll need to bring all your food with you or Springfield (backpackers or camping) These are the two nearest options as Flock Hill Lodge is closed and Castle Hill Station does not offer accommodation anymore.

Pad hire - Bivouac in Christchurch, Springfield Petrol Station and Springfield backpacker (not sure about the last one) all hire pads.
 B_Mark_W 04 Dec 2014
In reply to Rich2002:
Ive always enjoyed staying at smylies backpacker in springfield and hired the pads directly from there for a few days. They have just got a batch of new eldrid pads and do a pretty good evening meal as well. The pads in the springfield cafe are pretty knackered.

A car is by far the easiest way to get around, public transport in new zealand is infrequent or just non-existant, hitchhiking is another good option in NZ.
Post edited at 03:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...