UKC

Marker Kingpin Bindings/Volkl V-Werks BMT

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gasmerchant 06 Dec 2014
Anyone bought/tried any yet?

The highlight seems to be the lateral release, and TUV rating for Kingpins. I'm very tempted. Especially with the Volkl ski's as they seem to be able to cope with most conditions, despite being fat (109).
 Dark-Cloud 06 Dec 2014
In reply to Gasmerchant:

I asked similar a few weeks ago about the new breed of tech bindings, general consensus was leave alone until they have ironed all the bugs out.
OP Gasmerchant 06 Dec 2014
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yeah, I saw the post on search, but wondered if anyone has taken the plunge. If I did buy it would be in Canada towards the end of the season, so any issues would hopefully have become known. I'm just impatient! That and I have a light dose of snow fever now that the first snows have hit the Alps...
 Dark-Cloud 06 Dec 2014
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Yeah join the club !!

Didn't even think the Kingpin were released yet ?

Fritschi Vipec are on their second year now and seem have sorted the toe piece issues out, might be worth a look but i am guessing will be more money in Canada than Marker
OP Gasmerchant 12 Jan 2015
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I had a look/play with a set of Kingpins at Vieux Campeur in Albertville (they were awaiting pick up). Very sexy, and sturdy looking. I think I'll most probably take a gamble on, them and buy a pair when I get to Canada. Also had a look at the BMT Volkl's - and will try and demo both the 94 and 109 to see how I get on.
 Dark-Cloud 12 Jan 2015
In reply to Gasmerchant:
Yeah i looked at them in Verbier, pretty sure they have withdrawn them though haven't they due to issues ?

They do look good though, will be going for the Vipec myself, the Volkl Werks stuff just looked overpriced to me, pretty sure you could get a ski for half the price that would perform the same....
Post edited at 21:35
 Pinch'a'salt 13 Jan 2015
In reply to Gasmerchant:

I have seen a picture of a set of Kingpins with a front pin failure. (Can't find it now though...).
I would give it a winter for proper 'real-world' testing before splashing any $ on them.
OP Gasmerchant 14 Jan 2015
I've had a scrounge around the net and can only find one report of pin failure on one of the French forums. A couple of guys in North America have tested them and written reports with out encountering any dramas. They seem to be middle way in terms of weight and durability between the dynafit and beast bindings. Along with the BMT's I think they'd make a good setup for me as I'm not a hard charging skier, and am willing to accept a bit more weight for security binding-wise and ski. It'll be a dedicated touring/off-piste set up. I've got twin tip Salomons/diamir fritschi for general use if all else fails.

Anyway I've got a few weeks before I hit Canada, so will be hiring a few set ups before I make my mind up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...