UKC

Tenerife - Really easy routes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 09 Dec 2014
I've booked a climbing trip to Tenerife over Christmas, I may have made a mistake Having had a good browse through the guidebook and had a look at the Ukc article and logbook I am wondering if there is enough to keep us going for a week!
I will be hitting the climbing shop when we arrive but if anyone has any information on 4/5 ish routes and how much of a rack I need to get past Ryanair to make them accessible that would be great! We've got a 70m single and I'm happy upto about hvs on most rock types on trad gear. My girlfriend has a preference for technical climbing over sustained burly stuff so a few slabs would be nice
 timmyhobby 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Reach>Talent:

i went last year and loved it. we didn't do masses of climbing but did 1 day in arco gorge (which i think is the main sport climbing area and is really cool but quite hard) and another in Martinez (as it was close to where we were staying but probably not worth driving to but good if you are staying close to it). we also walked up mt tede from the road side realy early in the dark to beet the heat and permit office, also really good. we found it was good to do a bit of climbing before it got hot in the middle of the day then went to the beach for the rest of the day. We just took sport climbing stuff and i downloaded the rockfax pdf before i went (should have printed it out) for about £5, think there is trad in the book to but didn't want to carry all of it with us.
OP Reach>Talent 10 Dec 2014
In reply to timmyhobby:

Thanks. Not taking a rack is appealing but I am seeing a lot of the easiest routes seem to be bolt free. Any suggestions on what sort of rack would be most useful, does the rock lend itself to nuts or do I need to pack the cams?

Cams definitely needed if you do anything in Canadas/teide area...
 Mike-W-99 10 Dec 2014
I'd recommend the normal route on El Catedral as an easy trad route that needs a very small rack but you need doubles to easily ab off.

We did that and a day at arco before the car got broken into

A walk up and down Teide is very worthwhile and the permit is free but book well ahead.
Post edited at 23:42
OP Reach>Talent 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Just Tintin:

Cheers, looks like the cams are going in. So do I leave behind my trousers or my jacket to save weight
 Kid Spatula 11 Dec 2014
It looks like there is a lot more easy stuff than is in the guide from googling. There's Jama, Fantasma and La Martela. Apparently for these you need to call into the Roxstar shop in Arico.
Post edited at 11:42

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...