UKC

Which ropes for Verdon Gorge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Sansum 16 Dec 2014
I will be heading to the Verdon in April, and was just wondering what the ideal rope combination is? Guessing 2 x 60m lightweight ropes. Any reason I should invest in 'twin' ropes rather than 'half' ropes?
In reply to Chris Sansum:
> Any reason I should invest in 'twin' ropes rather than 'half' ropes?

TBH, not that I can think of, as most thin half ropes (<8mm) also tend to now meet the CE twin rope standard so there should be no problem with using them that way anyway. Also given that you can buy half ropes as thin as 7.3mm (Beal Gully) there is only a minimal weight saving going for a true twin rope like the Edelrid 6.9mm Flycatcher.

However, as to what is best for the Verdon, I can't really comment, although I am pretty sure the topic has come up before on here.

astley007 16 Dec 2014

Depends on what you plan on doing?... multi-pitch? Demande? Luna Bong? Pichnible? or more modern classics?
or just abbing down one pitch and climbing back to rim?
more important, make sure your comfortable abbing on a single rope!...knot!!!! comfortable on small exposed stances, pulling ropes..and always trying to to drop anything!!!!
What ropes you got now?
Cheers
Nick B
OP Chris Sansum 16 Dec 2014
In reply to astley007:
Mainly thinking about long multi-pitch routes potentially up to about 6b+. Currently I mainly have 8.5mm half ropes (Mammut Genesis 50m), and 1 x single 50m rope. Maybe it is time to invest in some skinny half ropes?
Post edited at 20:43
 Babika 16 Dec 2014
In reply to astley007:

I can't imagine the Luna Bong ab on 7.3mm..... :o
astley007 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Babika:

Wouldnt abb down luna bong..but would go down Diedre des Rappels, on two 7.3's..and walk across..but never had issue with two 50m..mid 8's..60m gives you the extra 10m of a chance of getting stuck!!!
 Skipinder 16 Dec 2014
We did the Dalles Grises and Carelle abseils on 2 x 60m (one half and one triple rated), however we (or more like I) basically followed a pair and mildly cocked up on the DG ab as neither of us had realised that they were on 70m Flycatchers. So there was a little down climbing involved LOL

Don't forget a prusik

And don't forget some of the grading is 'historic'...
Post edited at 23:43

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...